dear evan hansen 1

its been a hot minute since i've written anything and im technically supposed to be reading right now but then i started reading and i remembered these headcannons that i wrote once for deh and then they got deleted and at this point my attention span isn't even on the book im reading anymore so here we go.

Evan:

Evan didn't like reading as a kid. Big books intimidated him and the small words were too complicated. And we know that his mom got him a comic book collection. So Evan definitely likes comic books and graphic novels. But I like to head cannon that once he kind of entered teenager hood he started reading books like crazy. Not just longer graphic novels. It kind of started when he read this smaller book on trees and h o l y   s h i t  i can learn outside of school. So then all of a sudden the library became his second home. He was super into fantasy novels for a while before expanding his reading preferences and kind of branching out to everything? Except horror. And he can never get through classic novels. Ever. Of course, books are hella expensive so he doesn't really ever get new books BUT for a long time he got second hand books offline and in small book shops around town. Then at one point he got a job at his local library and they always kind of cleaned out the shelves every now and again and threw away old books. Evan was like  :O  and started taking them home instead of them wasting paper and precious trees. He's got a bad habit of folding corners and though he rarely does, because it peeves him when the lines are crooked, he sometimes underlines words and sentences that really speak to him. Tries to keep the spine and cover in good condition but usually fails because he gets so into the book. 

Connor: 

Ok I headcannon Connor as a book nerd. Like, I just imagine his room with books, everywhere. Canonically, he does have a huge block of comic books and he's probably had those since he could read. He freaking loves comic books. But like, I like to think that Connor hasn't just always loved comic books, this boy has been obsessed with litterature since the dawn of time. Connor reads anything and everything. Excluding some very special non-fiction books, he has two bookshelves in his room stocked with hundreds of books. In more recent years, he's become really reckless with his books, he'll curl the pages back so he's only reading one side of the book and he'll underline everything. Words, phrases, characters, he'll circle things that are totally irrelevant just because he hasn't underlined anything in the last 30 seconds. Once his english teacher said the book he was reading wasn't good so he proceeded to read every book written by that author the for following 2 months. He cant stand a messy bookshelf. His books are organized by size, colour, length and author. He knows exactly where each one is. 

Jared:

I feel like Jared wouldn't be the biggest reader. His mindset is that he already has glasses, so that makes him look like a huge nerd, so reading books is a one way ticket to Get Beat Up Land, so he pretends reading is the dumbest thing ever but actually he doesn't really care. He owns his fair share of comic books. He has a soft spot for Spider-Man and then also Iron Man. He has a Select Few novels that he really did like reading. He really liked Animal Farm, Fahrenheit 451 and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. 

Zoe:

Zoe is similar to Connor. She loves reading so much it's wild how good her focus is. While Connor can't stay zoned in on the story if a place is overly loud, Zoe could be at a heavy metal concert and still stay totally concentrated on her book. He has a habit of folding corners of pages that speak to her and she highlights things as well, and puts tabs on places in the page that she thinks are cool, but not as much as Connor. They'll steal books from one another, but almost always return them. Once for Christmas they got each other a copy of the same book and it was an :o situation. She loves all genres and is a sucker for a good queer novel.  I feel like people think Connor would be the unorganized one with piles of books just everywhere but i feel like it's actually Zoe. They never know who has more books because they're just..everywhere so they never know how many she actually has. Connor's tried multiple times to line them up on her floor even, because she doesn't have a bookshelf but she just somehow ruins it within a day. 

Alana:

Alana is the most organized when it comes to this shit do not lie to me about this. I hc Alana as a very organized person to begin with but like books to her are no joke. She's lucky enough to buy new ones often enough and takes such good care of them? She has a really nice white bookshelf that she's decorated with little flower paintings and fairy lights and her book are more organized than Connor's. She has series together, all the same colours, height, width length, lexile and genre all organized perfectly, somehow. She never breaks the spine and never creases the pages or folds corners or underlines things. She'll mark off things she likes with little tabs and then when she's done the book she'll dedicate an hour or two to copying them down in a journal so she can go back and reread them. She loves YA Litterature series like The Hunger Games and The Red Queen series. She's also a sucker for classic literature. Also if she ever does have books that aren't in pristine condition it's because they're rare copies of a book. Her prized possession is an original copy of Pride and Prejudice which she somehow managed to  find for a negotiable price. 

Heidi:

Ok so Heidi is always busy so she never has time to read. She wishes she did, because she's read some really beautiful books, but just can't. She wants Evan to keep on reading so she tries to get him as many books as possible. However, if she's at work and she's at the desk and it's a quiet day or something, she'll read a lot of short story collections. That way, she won't constantly have to stop her place in a full length novel. She can read short stories and not get too lost if someone needs her. At home, she has one big bookshelf with lots of books that she got when she was still married and some that's she just collected over the years, but she never has time so they're just kind of there. They look nice. 

Cynthia:

Cynthia doesn't really read all that much? She just isn't a reader. She has her collection of cooking magazine subscriptions. She has a binder of recipes shes torn out and puts them in there. Cynthia is the kind of lady who buys those 3 dollar chic lit novels from the rack at the pharmacy. The ones written by people who you've never heard of before and they're always about some girl that's rescued by the hottest guy e v e r. yeah she has a lot of those. She also has a couple scrap books? She wanted to try it shortly after Connor was born, but it never really continued. 

Larry:

I feel like this one's a bit obvious. I hc that Larry has a good sized bookshelf in the living room next to his Reading Chair™. It's full of books abour WW1 and WW2 and then lots of litterature about business and he still has his law textbooks from Law School..for some reason. And of course he has books about sports history but those stay in the garage. Connor may or may not have briefly read some of them before but he couldn't stay focused and put them back. He doesn't trust paperback and almost always buys hardcover. He says "they last longer". Never ever underlines or highlights or marks anything.