six

I wake up the next morning to the amazing smell of bacon and coffee

I wake up the next morning to the amazing smell of bacon and coffee. I discard it thinking that perhaps Nick got breakfast for himself. I just close myself with the blanket and attempt to ignore him as he hums a tune to a popular, catchy pop song that plays nearly every day on the radio.

"Do you mind?" I sit up frustrated.

Can a person get any sleep in this room? I wonder to myself.

"Oh look who finally decided to wake up." Nick sips on his coffee as he is busy sketching something.

He sits at his desk wearing a black gown with his sandy blonde hair wet and combed back out of his face. I glance at his well made bed that has no creases on the cover duvet. "I got you breakfast. I did not know if you drink coffee or tea, but I got coffee for you anyway." he informs to me lifting out of his desk chair.

"Oh thank you, Nick." I get up to receive my food. "But you really did not have to do this."

"It is okay. We are roommates now right?” he stretches and the untied gown opens up revealing his well toned torso. He is not even wearing a tee under the gown. His emoji slippers are the most adorable. He pulls his chair across the room to my desk where I sit and open up my food box.

"So what is your deal?"

"What is my deal?" I repeat with creased brows.

"I mean what are you really doing here." it sounds more like a statement than a question when he utters.

"I am here to study just like everyone else I suppose. I want to get my degrees and become the most successful female Neuroscientist in history." I narrate to him truthfully before guzzling down the bacon.

"Bullcrap."

"I am serious Nick. What did you think I am here for? What is anybody even here for?" I cross my arms and stare up at him expectantly.

He takes a strip of shoulder bacon and I slap his hand. He lifts his shoulders nonchalantly when he grabs another piece of bacon. "I do not know. I guess to party. Get drunk. Get high. Get laid," he continues to say as if it is the most obvious thing in the world.

"Uhm... well some of us are here for our books, grades and degrees." I tell him.

“Some of us do not need them when our parents are multimillionaires.” he randomly alleges with a lift of a shoulder.

I ignore his statement when stand up and thank him for breakfast. He nods and clears his throat as I make my bed. I wilt around with my brows lifted curiously.

"So my friends and I are going furniture shopping later and – since we are, you know, roomies and all that stuff – I was wondering if you want to come with us or something?" Nick sounds unsure when he speaks. Maybe he is nervous that I will decline the offer, but I would not dream of it. I mean our room, despite it already being a little bit furnished, it still needs some TLC.

"Oh," I blink once then grin at him warmly. "Yes, of course I would like to. At what time do we leave?"

"Around two PM." he responds. “We meet in the common room.”

I incline my head as I grasp in the new information. "Alright! I shall be there.”

He smiles a little bit and walks to his wardrobe. "Great and just a fair warning, my friend Vince can a be a little bit of a douchebag sometimes, so you might wanna just ignore him if he annoys you."

"Right... thanks for the warning I guess.” 

He goes into the bathroom to take a shower while I sit on my bed and stare up at the plain white ceiling. I cannot believe it! I am actually laying on one of the beds of Ryerson University. The university that the famous first neuroscientist Frederick D. Maryland studied at. As well as one of my favorite astrophysicists Nova DeGianté worked at before he moved on to NASA. My daydreams are interrupted by the sound of the default iPhone ringtone that rings. I soon come to realize that it is Nick's phone that rings. I take the opportunity to check the time before picking up the phone. 11:05. I decide to check the caller's ID name and it reads as : Aspen.

Who is Aspen? I wonder as I stare at the girl in the picture. I swear she looks like the girl who plays Carrie Walker in Magnify but I cannot put my finger on her name. I get up to knock on the bathroom door so I can give Nick his phone — "Nick your cellphone is ringing!"

"Who is it?"

"Aspen." I respond simply.

I hear him curse profusely then open the door slightly after a couple of seconds. Only his hand and head peek out the door, leaving the rest of his body hiding behind the door. I suspect that he is still naked and fresh out of the shower. He grabs the phone and mumbles a quick ‘thank you’ before he shuts the door closed again.

"What do you want? I thought I told you we are over. For good this time." he grumbles into the phone.

I do not want to be rude and eavesdrop on this one-sided conversation, so I grab my laptop and make my way to the library. Maybe I could Skype with my parents and see if things are still working out great back at the diner. Or just catch up on my Netflix binge.