forty

“Do you know why I really came here with my parents?” I glance up at Nick when he asks me

“To make me feel better?”

“No I wanted to ask you if you could be my date to Rosalie and Tatum's wedding.” he announces.

“Oooh!” my voice comes out with a tone of ecstacy. “When is this wedding?”

“This upcoming weekend. On Saturday.” he replies.

When I am quiet he questions me again, “So what do you say?” Before he gives me the chance to reply to his sweet offer he adds —— “Dad has already made a gown and shoes ready for the event. All that is missing is a gorgeous model to wear them.”

I snort and shake my head amused by Nick's antics. I find myself asking him, “Do you plan these things beforehand and just hope to the universe that I say yes?”

He thinks about it for a couple of seconds then inclines his head in confirmation. “Yes, but mostly I do not require to ask that much of the universe.”

“What if I say no?” I cross my arms on my chest and narrow my eyes at him.

He also narrows his eyes, challenging me. “You would not say no to this face.”

Pursing my lips, I watch him wiggling his eyebrows suggestively at me. I finally give up and let out a loud, exasperated sigh. “Okay okay! You got me. Yes I will go to the wedding with you Nick.”

“Awesome!” he beams from ear to ear.

“On one condition though.” my voice sudden sounds stern.

His dark, thick brows crease in confusion. “What is it?”

“We are going as just friends. If the press asks anything about our "relationship" we do not answer any of their stupid questions. Deal?” I inform him.

He seems to have a silent and thoughtful moment just before he agrees with the plan. “Deal.”

His hand digs into his trousers' pocket in search for something. I recognize the two small, round-shaped objects that have greased oil on the tissue paper that he pulls out. The donuts in his hands have been neatly wrapped in the paper which baffles me. How much time did he have to wrap those in front of our parents who would have definitely bit his head off if they caught him stealing them. 

“Donut?” he offers to me whilst he takes the other one for himself.

“Oh yes please!” I beam when he passes it to me. “Thanks.” I stare at the ring donut. A few of its sprinkles are missing, but that does not make it less tasty when I bite into it. The donuts is just what I need in order to feel better. The savory, scrumptious apricot jam that Dad filled inside makes my body shiver with happiness. Food really does make me happy, but my dad's donuts make me extremely happy.  I let out a soft moan making Nick looking at me in a weird way.

“What?” I inquire with my mouth full. “These are my favorite things in the world okay?”

His face breaks out into the most beautiful smile when he confirms —— “I know that. Which is why I brought it for you.”

“That is so sweet of you Nick. Thank you again.” I take another big bite when I feel him staring at me. At my lips.

“What?” I feel self-conscious whenever he stares at me like that. I never like I will never as good enough as other girls. Even though it makes entirely no sense. I just hate when people stare at me for a while like they are assessing me. Like they are comparing me to someone else.

He remains quiet, he does not answer me. Instead his lips brush against mine. Not in an innocent way like I thought they would. Like a tease but hot, fiery and demanding. His eyes darken as they  fill themselves with so much passionate and lust. I cannot bare to look away from the cluster of stars that starts to form in them. I want to pull away before I lose myself to him but I cannot seem to.

In this minty, forbidden moment that we share, my senses are seduced and I can no longer think straight. All I want to do is hold Nick tightly right now and forever. I hate myself for that. I hate how I have slowly fallen into this love roulette. I do not even like him anymore. “I... love him.” I nearly curse out loud when the words escape my mouth. He does not hear me. Oh thank the heavens. He is still captivated by our tender kiss to even decipher what I have just confessed. I try to stop myself from smiling when we both pull away from each other.

“And now that jam that was on your face is gone.” he pivots his body to face the horizon that has slowly gone away. 

“You are such a dork.” I snort then hide my face in embarrassment for such a loud sound. I do not like it when I snort in front of cute guys but I guess I do not really care right now. I am still caught up in the moment. “But you are my dork.”

He bites his bottom lip and looks down at our front yard below, where Eric and Delilah stand. “I love that title.”