twenty two

“I wanted to ask you whether you still want to proceed further with this roommate thing or if you want to move out next semester?” Nick questions in an immediate serious tone

I lift my shoulder in a half shrug and then sit up straight with my back against the headboard behind. I stare straight at the door as if it could open. As if my answer would just walk in through the door. “Well I think that the whole point was for us not to develop feelings for each other you know. So that nobody gets hurt and nobody hurts anybody even if it is unintentionally.” the words spoil our of my mouth before I can even think over exactly what I could say.

“Yeah I understand what you mean by that.” he tells me agreeing.

“I-I think I might have broken that promise to both myself and to you. I am sorry.” I whisper.

I look at Nick to see what his reaction might possibly look like. He looks shocked for a moment before he composes himself and  opens his mouth to say something. “Oh Autumn... I really – ” Nick is interrupted when there is a quick knock on the door. The two of us exchange looks of perplexity. Like I said it is almost midnight and I guess we are kind of expecting everybody to be asleep by now. There is another faint knock on the door, but this time it is a bit louder that the first time.

“Come in.” Nick's eyes are fixed on the door as it slightly opens agape. The person to step into the room is Mabel with half of her body is inside the room while the other half outside. My stomach turns and I feel that something is not right, as if   something bad has happened. I can feel it in my bones, in my blood. I almost always have something like an epiphany when something bad happens around me or to the people I love the most.

“Hey guys.” Mrs Payne's voice trembles a little bit as she speaks. Nick has a panicked look on his face, “Mom, are you alright? What is wrong? What  happened?”

Mrs Payne lets out a breathy sigh that sound alike she has been crying. Even her grey eyes are red and puffy. After she closes the door behind her she approaches the edge of the bed and sit down. Suddenly tears start to form in her eyes before they spill out and she breaks down hysterically. Her shoulders visibly shake as she sobs. Nick immediately runs up to her placing his arms around her in a  comforting manner.

“Mom can you please tell us what happened? Why are you not in bed?” he questions
suspiciously with narrowed eyes.

Mrs Payne starts to lose control of her emotions as she weeps My drops when she barely whispers out, “Aspen stabbed your brother.”

My ears pique up at this moment then I lean closer to hear correctly. Maybe my subconscious mind is making all of this up. Maybe Mabel did not even come into the room. I think to myself. Perhaps I want Aspen to seem crazy in my head. Mabel moves away from Nick when she gets up. “He was sent to the hospital about two hours ago. I wanted to tell you today but I thought that you would find out tomorrow morning..”

Nick's brows crinkle in concern and worry as he throws a pillow at the wall angrily. “Why would you not wake us up? Or at least just me. I mean he is my one and only brother Mom. He is my first best friend.”

“I am really sorry Nick okay, but I was worried. I still am. I could not think straight. Everything... it all just... it all happened so fast.” Mabel is shaking as she speaks.

“You know, I heard the ambulance outside not so long ago.” Nick says thoughtfully as he walks around the room getting warmer clothes for him to change into. “I guess I kind of just figured that Mrs Benson called 911 again. You know how her son has been getting his epileptic seizures lately.”

He throws a pair of black, knee-high socks along with a sweater and some sweatpants. He orders me, “Go change in the bathroom. I will wait for you.” 

I nod my head and get up to change into the clothes that he has just given to me. Once I come back after about two minutes I see him also already changed. He runs down the staircase and I follow behind him. At the bottom step he stands stationary while his eyes are fixed on something on the ground. I halt just behind him, “Nick come on let us – ”

I cannot believe my eyes. Red everywhere. Red blood on the floor. Red blood on the back wall that leads to the entrance section. We are not even that close to it but suddenly there is a sour smell that I can sniff. An ear piercing scream makes my ears ring painfully. When everybody has eyes on me I become more aware that I am the one who screamed. My mind spins and I have no idea what is going on anymore. Nick quickly makes his way to me up and reaches out for me. He covers my face with his chest from the horrific scenery that lays before us. I feel his t-shirt become damp. I am crying now.

“Do not think about this Autumn. I am sure Tatum is okay. Shhhh, I have got you. Please do not cry.” he rubs a gentle hand from the back of my head and down my spine.

My hands shake viciously and my mouth quivers in shock. My hitching breath makes me sound like I have been crying for some time. I have feared blood for as long as I can remember. Just the sight of it makes me want to squirm and throw up. I hug Nick back but soon he let's go and blinks his wet eyes.

Taking my hand he pulls me towards the front door. He clears his throat and says to his mother, “We are going to the hospital. See you in a few.”