twenty seven

It has been two days sinceNick and Tatum have been here in the hospital

It has been two days sinceNick and Tatum have been here in the hospital. I would go home with the Paynes and Rosie then we would also come back to see the boys. Tonight I found it hard to fall asleep so I did not. I try to sleep on these uncomfortable hospital chairs as I over think a million thoughts in my head.  I should have been on the next bus heading back home to Ottawa, but I cannot think of leaving Nick all alone in the state he is in. Plus I promised to him that I would not leave. His parents went to the cafeteria to get us some food. While they went I decided that I could try to get some sleep in the waiting room. I cannot actually fall asleep because of how worried I am about them both

I have texted my parents to inform them that I would be late for the winter holidays. Perhaps by a couple of days. Hopefully Nick would be healed in time for Christmas. Dr Kim walks out of Tatum's room with a clipboard in his hands. When he finally approaches me the Paynes are walking towards us holding our food. The first person to speak is Dan who puts a protective arm around his wife.

“How is he doing doctor?” — Dan questions worriedly — “Is he  awake yet?”

Dr Kim nods his head in agreement, “Yes he is.”

“Oh thank God!” Mabel blinks away tears in her eyes.

I notice that Dr Kim is not as delighted that Tatum is awake or perhaps something else is bothering him. I really hope that nothing was wrong with Nick. I clear my throat and he turns to me. “Dr Kim, something seems to be bothering you. What is the matter?” I mumble.

“Tatum is allergic to the anaesthetics we used so they could be harmful and toxic to his body.” the doctor starts to explain thoroughly.

“Can you not use other ones? Money is no threat, Dr Kim. If you need to get more supplies I can give you the money that is required.” Dan tells him.

“If we give him more anaesthetics, there is a larger chance that they could harm his organs and there could be possibilities of –” Dr Kim keeps looking down at his notes on the clipboard as he speaks.

“You do not dare to say it!” Mabel shrieks cutting the doctor off.

“– death.”

“So what are we going to do? Pull the plug on my son?” Mabel is irritated.

“That would be irrational and unnecessary. He is not suffering per se. He just needs to rest and he will feel better.” — Dr Kim clears his throat, he sounds nervous. — “After that we will clean the wound with ethanol.”

“And Nick? How is he doing?” I find myself asking. Mabel glances at me then nods at the doctor, urging him to carry on.

“Dr James says that one of the bullets just missed his heart. He is in critical condition.” Dr Kim explains before a nurse emerges from the ICU room that Nick has been appointed to. She has a panicked look on her face.

Mrs Payne pushes past her husband to take a seat on the chair next to mine. She has her head in her hands as she sits with a slouched back.

“What is it now?” Dr Kim asks the nurse with a slight irritation in his tone.

“Nick is still in a sleeping coma but he keeps screaming and yelling and fighting.” the nurse exclaims. “And his heart monitor keeps changing as he moves.”

“My babies are both in the hospital. Dan what if they die?” — she rubs her red eyes. — “Nick needs two more years in college and he might not even see them.”

“He might be having some night terrors. It is normal for patients who have been shot. Just give him some anaesthetics and he will be alright.” Dr Kim orders before he sets off back into Tatum's room.

Mabel is panicked. She looks like is about to have a panic attack and when Dan witnesses this he wraps his arms around he body. This seems to calm her down just a little bit. We wait quietly as Nick's original doctor, Dr James, walks in and out of his room. The more we wait, the more we lose our appetites and our hope.