thirty nine

Like I have not been on the roof, Dad also has not been

Like I have not been on the roof, Dad also has not been. Which means that it has not been cleared out or well at least groomed in a couple of months. I come here, or came, to think. To relieve myself from all stressful situations. There are no raccoons on the roof thankfully so I am able to sit at my favorite spot where I can see the eye-catching sunset under the horizon. The scarlet sun and lilac sky fuse together to create this perfect picture. This perfect scene.

“Is it not just gorgeous?”

My head tilts in the direction of the familiar voice. The owner is Nick. Of course. “Yeah it is pretty.” I nod my head at him.

“May I?” he wants to sit down next to me.

I barely lift my shoulder to shrug, “Sure I guess.”

We sit in comfortable silence as our eyes gaze at the beautiful scenery of the sunset. I always used to watch the sunset with my father, but ever since his business started blooming I had been seeing less of him. Well except whenever I would help out at the cafe. I am so proud of him though. He worked so hard for his business to be in existence. Put so much money and time just for it to build the building that it is currently at.

“Are you doing okay?” Nick ends the silence. He takes a seat next to me, on the part of the roof that has not yet been covered by snow.

I nod my head.

“Do you often come here? To breathe and crap?” he asks again. I nod once more. I do not think that the words want to spew out in case I say something wrong and offend him. Or if I hurt him on a way that I can never take back.

“Angel talk to me,” he pleads. “Are you still mad about the Aspen thing?”

I shake my head no —– “Yes. No. Maybe. I do not know Nick. It is just... My parents... my dad. The way he reacted was so...”

“Different?” he suggests. I shrug, “Something like that I guess. I do not even know of the perfect word to say.”

“Did you hear how he raised his voice at me? He never does that. He has never done that.” I elaborate to Nick truthfully. “I do not know why he would expect me to always be the perfect daughter that he wants. Eric is not perfect.”

“Yes well Eric thinks you are his role model. Now if you become negatively Influenced then they think that they are losing not just one but both their children.” his words roll out with such wisdom and experience that I have to turn my head to face him. .

“I mean think about it.” he continues. “You have always been a good girl who did not tell lies.”

I cut him off, “That on itself is a pure lie. Who on this damn earth can tell you that they have never lied?”

Nick rolls his eyes, “Yes yes... but put yourself in his shoes or look at it from his point of view.”

“Look at what from his point of view?” I feel frustrated simply just talking about this.

“You are his one and only daughter Autumn and this is how parents react when they find out that they were o close to losing their children.” Nick places his hand on mine and squeezes it tightly.

“They lose us to lies?” I question incredulously.

“No,” he disagrees. “To obscurity and distance.”

I think about what he says. I guess being mysterious and distant can make you lose touch of your loved ones. You could be doing your own thing, caught up in your own little world and its problems and affairs that you forget all about those who are around you. Like my parents used to say all the time : destruction starts with a small white lie. I suppose it is scary as a parent when you hear that your child was almost killed by a psychotic maniac who nearly shot them. I cannot put myself in their shos. Especially not Nick and Tatum's parents' shoes. All because of one lie their family nearly came to an end.

Lies can definitely cause destruction. Lies can destroy families and people's lives.