twenty six

A woman with a packet of medication boxes in her hands along with a man who shares the same resemblances as Aspen, walk in

A woman with a packet of medication boxes in her hands along with a man who shares the same resemblances as Aspen, walk in. They must be her family. They all better have a reasonable excuse and explanation as to why their daughter is such a psychopath slash sociopath.

"We are beyond ashamed Mabel, Dan. My husband and I are very sorry for the pain that Aspen has caused upon your family.” the man starts to speak with widened eyes.

Ruth walks into the room with a shocked face just as the guards practically drag Aspen out of the room. Things begin to click in my head when Ruth calls the man guy ‘Grant.’ This is when I realize that the man who stands by the door is the Grant Black who directs the action and sci-fi Hollywood movies that I enjoy watching. As well as that new Netflix series I started watching which I remember where I know Aspen from. She is one of the main characters in the series and that is where I have seem her from. It is quite funny how even in the series she is a bitter, crazy person.

“Grant I told you that she left her room. The hospital called the house and said that she had one of your guns with her. But when I called to tell you, you never believed me did you?” Ruth exclaims ferociously with exaggerated hand movements.

“As well as you Mom. Ever since you married him,” she gestures to Grant. “You have started to take his side and his stupid, crazy niece's side. You do not listen to me anymore.”

“Aspen is not crazy! She is just going through a hard time.” Grant argues, defending his niece as I thought he would.

“I am truly sorry again Mabel and Dan. This is just all our fault and out family is willing to pay for all the damages.” Ruth's mother steps forward whilst the nurses carry Nick out in a stretcher.

In a split second Mrs Payne, Mabel speed walks up to Ruth's mother and lands a painful slap on her cheek. Her cheek turns red but Mabel does not look like she is done. She attempts to jump at the woman and attack her, but Dan holds her back. He keeps her from trying to do anything more harmful than a slap.

“Samantha we should really go home now. I think that we have overstayed our welcome.” Grant pointedly informs his wife. The two of them glance down at the ground with guilty ridden eyes.

“I am so so sorry, Mabel. Please do not shut us out. What about the Met Gala dinner that we have all reserved in less than a month?” Samantha, Ruth's mother, cries as tears stream down her cheeks.

“Get out!” Dan voices, pointing them to the door. They nod their heads and slowly get out of the room before anything else could happen.

I notice that Ruth is still standing next to me. I clear my throat and find the courage to ask her, “What... what happened? To Aspen I mean. How did she escape?”

“I am not really sure, but I heard that she already had Grant's gun with her. She escaped from the asylum after we took her to it last night when she came home with the police. Apparently she  she ran out of her room and shot a couple of wardens after she found out that she was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. If did not take her meds well...” Ruth starts to explain to us, trailing off when she looks at Nick in pain.

“Well what?” I am beyond surprised to hear Dan ask.

“Then she acts out like this, but I swear that I have never seen her like this. Ever.” Ruth shakes her head in disbelief.

She steps outside of the room and after a few seconds she comes back in with a delightful looking bouquet of daisies in her arms. She makes her way to the Paynes and gives the flowers to Dan. “Thank you darling. Have a great night and God bless.” Dan utters out when Ruth waves at at us. On her face there is a sheepish, sad smile before she and leaves the wardroom.

I follow after her and ask the first nurse I see for Nick's room. She leads me in the direction of his room and I follow quietly and tentatively so that I do not get lost on my way back out of the hospital. Luckily we do not have to leave the floor but his room is a little bit further away down the long, narrow passageway. The first thing I see once I get to Nick's wardroom door is how weak he looks. I turn around to thank the nurse but she is nowhere to be found. I shake my head to clear my thoughts before I rush to Nick's side and take grip of his unbelievably cold hand. I  squeeze it gently and give the back of his hand a light kiss. I shut my eyes tightly as a rainfall of tears cascades down my face and my teardrops land on his perfect face.

Suddenly I feel his hand – barely but surely – move from under mine to which I blink my eyes open just in time to see him trying to open his own. The two aqua marble-like eyes stare back at me, barely open. 

He is able to choke out, "Please do not leave me Autumn. I am scared.”

I lean lower, closer to his face and kiss his forehead as I promise to him, “I will never leave you Nick. I am right here.”

He faintly grins in return before this eyes shut close as he fall into a deep sleep.