thirty seven

“What a lovely home you have got Mr and Mrs Chastain

“What a lovely home you have got Mr and Mrs Chastain.” I overhear Dan complimenting my parents. I already know that the Paynes have entered into our house. It is a pity that we do not have valet parking lot ot for them like they do at their home, but oh well.

“Oh thank you very much, Daniel. Can I call you Daniel?" Dad replies.

I make my way to my bedroom to get changed and have a hard time finding the right outfit that will impress both mine and Nick's parents. Of course I still want to look great in front of him too but comfortable as well. I grab a dark floral sundress made of silk along with with a pair of matching flats. I struggle to zip on the dress but suddenly I feel someone else doing it. I assume it is Eric. His warm breath smells like coffee as it hits the back of my neck and runs down my spine.

“Need some help?” Nick is the one who whispers once he is done zipping up my dress.

“Oh thank you,” I blink in confusion but turn around and smile up at him. He looks like quite the gentleman in his tuxedo. He really does clean up well and he is already handsome so he does not need to try much. His shoes look perfectly polished and new. He has his hair combed out of his face and gelled back with no lock sticking out.

“What is it taking you so long to get ready? I mean I already met your brother. He is great.” Nick's voice takes me back to actuality when he inspects my room with his eyes.

“I could not decide on wearing this dress or that one on my – ”

He intervenes and cuts me short—— “Woah, you dance?” ––— he inquires with curious eyes.

He stares at the award section in my room that is filled with trophies and medals from all my dance competitions. There are four pictures that Mom took when I won a couple of competitions in middle school. Nick picks up one of the pictures which was of the last competition I did before I quit dancing completely. Well I had to stop because I tore my knee cartilage during one practice. I was so close to going to finals, but I could not participate afterwards. Meaning I was disqualified because of my knee. Shocking right?

Nick sets down the picture and turns to me —— “Is this why you know all those classical artists?”

I incline my head and traipse to him, “Yeah I used to do modern dance. I was in a couple of plays too, but I suck at acting.”

“What happened? Why did you stop dancing? You were clearly good at it.” he refers to the awards I won while he picks up an old newspaper. On the front cover it has the twelve year old Autumn Chastain with a bold caption.

Headline read as: Ottawa's Young Dancer's Career Coming To A Stop.

I quickly snatch the newspaper out of Nick's hands. I make my way out of the door —— “Come on, we have been too long. Let us go before they send a search party for us.”

I chuckle at my own joke, but Nick just creases his eyebrows.  thought. He does not question my sudden mood change though. Thankfully. He follows after me and shuts my bedroom door behind him. When we stand at the top step he holds out his hand for me to take. I gaze down at it before I grab it.