twenty four

I blink for a second and all of a sudden Nick has made his way for the elevators

I blink for a second and all of a sudden Nick has made his way for the elevators. My feet tread their way towards them and I eventually catch up to him just before the elevator doors could close me out. Nick presses for the fifth floor button as soon as the doors have shut. I close my eyes and conduct my fingers to the calm classical music that plays through the speakers in the elevator. "Wolfgang," I smile to myself. Nick turns his head at to me. He looks curious, confused for a moment. He lifts his shoulders and faces the doors.

I know a little bit about classical music. I studied it when I was younger, perhaps when I was around ten years old, forth grade. That is if I can properly recall. It has been years since I studied classical music so I am a little bit rusty when it comes to some of them.

Ding!

He is the first one to step out of the lift. None of us says a word to to other and since it is so early - so early, the hospital is not as busy. Except the man who is in a wheelchair, rolling himself into his wardroom. The silence in here is so profound that it feels like someone is screaming in my head. I know that Nick is hurting; I can see it in his eyes that do not shine as bright as they used to. Not even in the car when I tried to crack some jokes to lighten up the mood. Although he laughed at the stupid knock knock joke I made, his smile did not reach his eyes. We stand in front of the door to Tatum's wardroom. Are we going in? Are we staying out here? I wonder. Once we walk into the room a wave of chemicals hits my nostrils and I feel my hairs burning.

"Oh dear God," my thoughts are interrupted when Nick cries out loud. He stares at Tatum who lays on the stretcher with an oxygen mask on his face. Tubes and pipes poke in and out of his body. It looks quite sore if I have to tell the truth. Painful to say the least. I watch as his heart monitor beeps. It looks normal if I can even put it that way. Or maybe it does not even relatively look that great. My mind has been playing mind games with me lately and i have not been honest with myself I do not know what to believe anymore. I am myself, what if Tatum is actually not okay? I mean I still do not know the full story about why Aspen stabbed him. She is clearly crazy and needs help. Serious, professional help.

Nick trots passed his parents who hold each other tightly as he takes a seat next to Tatum.

"Hey dumbass," Nick jokes choking out a laugh. "I cannot believe you are on the other side now."

I take slow strides towards Tatum's bed that is pushed against the wall, in the middle of the room.

Mabel sobs into her husband's knitted sweater who whispers things into her ear to cheer her up. While I stand here in the doorway, too shocked to even move, it feels to me like the whole world has just stopped. Like everything is on pause and I am the only person in the whole room, the whole universe, who is still conscious of what they are doing. It is thrilling yet scary as well.

When I stare at Nick's vulnerable form I have a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach. Something bad - no, horrible - is going to happen. I do not know what it is, but something is sure to happen.

My gut feeling is never wrong.