thirty four

"I am telling you, guys

"I am telling you, guys. She wanted to shoot me, but Nick practically jumped in front of me."

Mom, Dad and Eric shake their heads as tell them all about my bone-chilling experience. The four of us have our daily cup of hot cocoa as we used to when I still lived here with my parents. It is a chilly Saturday morning and the café is at its fullest to say the least. Business has really grown since I left home. I notice some old friends of mine whom I went to high school with a few months ago.

Before taking me home, Mr Payne went to the Hamilton police station along with Aspen's godfather Grant. The Payne's family wanted to file a lawsuit against Aspen and now the whole world knows about it. Their families are famous after all. 

Nick and Tatum are going to be discharged to go home for their winter holidays. They will be under the care of a family doctor. Although he is still in the hospital, Nick keeps trying to text me but I cannot really talk to him or anyone besides my family. Not for now at least. I want to just spend some time alone with my parents and Eric before trouble can find its way back into my life. I mean if Nick had not in front of me when Aspen pulled the trigger, I would have almost died for goodness sake. I want to cherish the - if last - moments I have with my family in case I never come back home. Just like I was so close to not doing.

The bells on top of the entrance doors ring to which Dad gets up from his chair in our booth to serve the new customers. It is not like he is required to do anything really since he owns the place and he has staff members. But Arthur Chastain is not like any other person. He likes to do things himself rather than having to rely on others. I do not look up to see who the new customers are until I hear my father call out my name.

“Autumn, dear,” he calls out. “You have some visitors.”

When I gaze my eyes in his direction I notice Nick, Tatum and two bodyguards standing at the counter. Nick watches me with pained eyes as him and his brother wait for me to come over. My eyebrows worriedly frown when I look at how good they actually look. Even though I can see that they are both in pain. One would never think that one of them got stabbed while the other got shot in the chest, the way they both look so fresh and alive. They are dressed in dapper, dark grey business suits that look so good on each of them. They sure clean up pretty well if I do say so myself. Nick grins and strolls halfway to me, his face grimacing from the pain.

I shake my head at them in complete disbelief. - “You two are such idiots. You are supposed to be in the hospital,” - I tell them with the deadliest glare I can muster up to show how mad at them I am. I mean I am worried that they could get hurt again or maybe that they are not filly healed yet. And then here they are roaming around Ottawa.

Nick's face falls when I speak. He glances down at the wooden plank floors guiltily. When he looks back up at me he whispers to me - "I am so sorry Autumn. I really am and can you tell what I can do to show you how much you really mean – ”

In that moment I press my lips against his and feel his body loosen as my arms touch his shoulders. This finally shuts Nick up and I feel . His left hand reaches out for my face and he mumbles, "I do not want to lose you, Angel. Please do not leave."

I blink as puzzlement overpowering all my senses. What would I be leaving and where would I even be leaving for? I begin to question to myself. “Nick, what are you talking about? Do not leave what?” I cross my arms and watch him expectantly.

“Well, my parents they told me that – ”

“Your parents Nick?” I scoff at him incredulously. “You are going to believe the same people who I am pretty sure hate me? What did your parents say Nick?"

Tatum looks up from his cellphone to speak up. —– “Our parents do not hate you Autumn. I am pretty sure that they are glad that you saved Nick from that sociopath we know as Aspen.”

He slides his cellphone away into his blazer pocket then turns his attention fully to me. - “They are just having a hard time trying to accept that their ideal "perfect" daughter-in-law is in fact a psychopath.”

“Sociopath,” Nick corrects him.

Tatum scoffs - “Yeah like that makes the situation much better. We nearly died thank you very much.”

He shakes his head just before the cellphone rings, and Nick and I watch him as his eyes become significantly softer. He looks like he is contemplating whether or not to answer the call.

“Rosie?” Nick questions knowingly to which Tatum nods

“She must be worried,” I place a gentle hand on Tatum's shoulder.

Tatum looks like he is having a hard time trying to tell us something. He inclines his head when Nick asks him, “Hey brother are you okay?” 

“Yeah of course. I am just...” he sighs loudly. “I am just thinking about what would happen if I died. How would Rosie react?” Just then Tatum excuses himself after he gets his cup of coffee and pays for it. He goes to answer the phone call, leaving Nick and I to stand awkwardly. I clear my throat and so does he.

"So..." he scratches the nape of his neck nervously.

“Oh I have decided that I am not leaving you for another dormitory room..." I start to announce to which he grins perfectly.

I feel obliged to add, “Well as far as I know I am not leaving, but I may change my mind later on."

He agrees with me.
–– “I totally understand what you mean.”

“Yeah...” I avert my eyes elsewhere avoiding to look into his glowing blue ones.

As Dad offers Nick his cappuccino he suggests to him –– "You know, you man? You and your family should come over for dinner tonight. I am making fajitas.”