nine

We stroll into the furniture store and I make my way straight to the bedroom items section without even taking a trolley cart or a basket

We stroll into the furniture store and I make my way straight to the bedroom items section without even taking a trolley cart or a basket. I pick out a couple of fluffy, colourful throw pillows and hold them under my armpits.

"Hey Autumn!" I run into Vince in the bathroom isle who drives a cart that is almost full of items.

He offers for me to throw in the pillows, I thank him and throw them inside. The two of us quietly and peacefully make our way around the whole store as I look for more things to buy. Once I feel satisfied with what I got Vince and I push the cart to the paying till where everybody is already waiting for us. I nearly have a heart attack when I thoroughly check out the the bill we are suppose to pay. It is nearly in the thousands and I have not yet placed my shopping items on desks yet. I groan when Nick adds a gaming console into the cart.

"I hope you have enough money to pay for all of these,” my hands exaggerated hand gestures i point around. “because I am not going to take anything out of my bank for a freakin' PlayStation.”

He waves me off with his hand dismissively – “It is okay, Autumn. Relax. My parents have enough money to buy this whole stupid store and the land it is built on.”

“Okay good for them I guess?” I frown.

“That means that he will pay for everything.” Scooter grins widely for the first time, revealing his grey braces — “And he is right. They are stinkin' rich.”

Romeo says, "Can you please stop flexing your parents' money around and let us worry about how we are to fit this humongous couch and flat screen TV in Derek's Jeep that is the size of an ant.”

At the mention of his name, Derek looks up from his cellphone. He disapproves with  dark glaring eyes, “There is no way that those things are getting into my Miranda. She is fragile enough and that is too much weight on her."

He calls his Jeep Miranda. She is a little bit worn and old; chipped red paint here and there. Broken rearview mirror. Torn leather seats and it, she, smells like the fries from McDonald's. But despite all of that, she can still get you from point A to B. That is somewhat how Derek described his car to me when I first got into I earlier. I may or may not have added the McDonald's fries part myself, but it is true. Nick gives  his older brother a phone call outside while we wait here for something to happen. Not five minutes pass until he saunters back into the store with a grin on his face. 

“So what did brother dearest say?” Romeo's arms are folded on his chest.

“Dad agreed to lend us one of his  trucks. One of his driver's will deliver our things at campus.” Nick alleges when he swipes his black card for everything and leaves them at the counter.

We all split up into Romeo and Derek's cars and ride back to school. It turns out that only Romeo goes to Ryerson University as well as Nick and I. Vince goes to a different one just near Hamilton and so does Scooter. In the car Nick secretly tells me that Derek on the other hand decided that after High School he was going to drop out. It did not help him much that he was miserably failing his Mathematics and Natural Sciences miserably. So to be honest he really did himself a favour in my opinion.

"But you cannot tell him that I told you that. He would kill me." Nick confesses truthfully once we stop at a red light.

“I won't.”

———

When we get back to the school the guys stay in our dorm room for a while to test out the new TV and PlayStation. I sit on my bed as they – Nick, Vince and Derek – assemble the TV onto the wall. Romeo sits on one of our new beanbags – that Nick thought are also a good idea to get along with the two-seater couch – and continues to read his Shakespeare novel. Scooter and I wait for the PlayStation to be assembled and ready so that we can play first. We called dibs and so we play first.

Just after six o'clock the boys are ready to leave our room. On our way home Derek ordered us some KFC but now I become more away of how hungry I am  again when my stomach starts to grumble angrily. Nick's stomach grumbles just after mine and he glances at me grinning sheepishly embarrassed. He pulls his phone out of his pocket and starts dialing a number. He turns to me. 

"You wanna order some pizza and watch Netflix?"