eight

"Autumn meet the boys

"Autumn meet the boys." Nick is the first one to talk as I stand against one of his friends' car.

"This is Romeo. I am closest the to him. We have known each other since we were in diapers." when Nick says Romeo's name I glance up immediately.

Romeo gazes up too at the mention of my name - "You."

"Right back at ya." I grin and he smiles back.

Nick scratches his neck and looks between the two of us with puzzled eyes. "So you two huh? You know each other or something?"

"Yes, she is the girl I have been telling you about from the library who would not leave me alone." Romeo crosses his arms and glares at me playfully.

I scoff and put my hands on my hips. "You are unbelievable. I was just being a nice person."

All of a sudden one of the guys with blonde hair whispers something into Romeo's ear and the next minute they are all staring down at my denim shorts. I told Ruth that they are a little too short, but she insisted that I wear them since it is hot day. Nick quickly blinks and escapes out of his trance with a sly smirk. My cheeks burn in embarrassment and I cannot believe that five guys are checking me out. Nothing close to this has ever happened to me since I was in ninth grade and I wore a t-shirt that revealed my bra color. I got into major trouble for that with the teachers, but since I was a good child and learner they did not punish me too harshly.

Note to self: burn these shorts.

Nick shakes his head to clear his mind. He gestures to his friends, "the gang" as he calls them, and points to the blonde boy who started this whole staring down at my shorts scenario. "This one right here is Vincent," Nick starts to say. "But we all just call him Vince. Vince and I used to be arch enemies back in middle school. And looking back at it now we were both just stupid little boys with little boys feuds."

I wave at him to which he winks back. Creepy. The next guy is the shortest one in the group. "Over here we have another Vincent, but to avoid further confusion we all call him Scooter. We have known each other since back in fifth grade. You can definitely trust this one with a secret."

The shorter Vincent smiles when Nick introduces him. He watches me with his eyes the color of mahogany wood. They are so calming and have some sort of home-steady toughness that lets me know that he will be there for me. He lifts his hand to wave and I return the gesture. He seems very shy, but I do not blame him. I feel the same way too.

"Please do not ask me why they call me 'Scooter.' It is an embarrassing inside joke they have." Scooter's cheeks turn a bright red color when he explains.

I purse my lips and assure him that I won't ask. Nick moves on to the tallest boy of the five named Derek. He is the only guy here with spectacles on that make him look a little bit nerdy, but then his slouched posture and cigarette in his hand say otherwise. He probably does not even care about school. A typical bad boy. He is lean and quite skinny, unlike the other guys who have a little bit more muscle and meat. He even looks older than the rest; with the whole stubble and dark eyes look he has going for him. Derek lifts his head to look up at me from his cellphone. For a second I think he is going to say something - maybe he wanted to - but he remains quiet and puffs at his cigarette.

At the corner of my eyes I notice Vince glaring at me. Rather staring through me. Nick becomes aware of this so he gives Vince's head a good smack and he finally looks away. This is going to be one long day.