twenty one

In the shadows his face is so close to mine that I can count the little confetti freckles that are on his name

In the shadows his face is so close to mine that I can count the little confetti freckles that are on his name. The kind that one could miss even if they were at an arm's length because of the faintness that have. I inhale the strong, manly odour of his cologne. I eventually feel physical warmth and I am able to move my limbs. Hesitantly I lift my hand to touch Nick's face. He looks so peaceful and cute when he is asleep even when he snores a little bit through his mouth that is particularly open. I find myself admiring his gorgeous face; the perfectly chiselled jawline with a light stubble, his rosy high cheeks, the pink full lips that he possesses under that adorable little nose of his.

He slowly stirs awake and blinks his eyes open and I start to worry. “I am so sorry. Did I wake you up?” I whisper so lightly I was afraid that I cannot hear me.

“Oh look you are awake and it is alright if you wake me up. I really do not mind.” Nick chortles softly whilst he places a hand on my forehead to check my temperature. “How are you feeling?"

"M-much better," I stammer.

"Good," he whispers tucking a lock of hair behind my ear. "You scared me, you know that?"

I stare down at my fingers ashamed and guilty, “I am sorry Nick.” I blink away the tears that threaten to fall as Nick and I lay on the bed silently staring at the ceiling. Until he clears his throat and mutters, “I wonder what is on TV at this time. It is almost midnight.”

As he says that he grabs a remote controller from the bedside table on his side, switches the smart TV on – it hangs on the wall like ours back on the dorm room  –  and surfs through the channels. “Cable TV is so stupid. I do not know how people can live like this.” he complains. In a few minutes he finds an old romance movie playing to which I groan. He has a smirk on his face when he inquires, “So I take it that you do not like romantic comedies?”

I disagree with a head waggle — “I certainly do not. They are super non-realistic and extremely predictable. I already know that they are going to kiss and fall in love.”

Nick hunches over as he starts to laugh uncontrollably, “Oh my gosh, Autumn you just made my day. You are honestly too cute.”

I roll my eyes at him but I cannot stop myself from grinning at him from cheek to cheek. Once he has calmed down a little bit he asks me, “Do you belive in happily ever afters?”

I open up my mouth and reply, “No, I do not. Why do you ask?”

He lifts his shoulders to shrug, “Oh you know, I am just making some small talk.”

“Do you?” I watch him look at me when I ask him back. “Believe in happily ever afters I mean.”

He uses his hand to gesture that he sort of does, at least just a little bit. “I mean there are things I believe and some things I just... find very ‘non-realistic’ and ‘predictable’” he mocks me at the end with a small smile playing on his lips.

“Right... I like to be thrilled and surprised. I do not like being told something that we all know is somewhere close to being impossible on the scale of possibility.” I elaborate to Nick. I side my hands to gesture to the television screen that still plays the romantic comedy on it.

“I hear you. I get what you mean.”