fifteen

Nick parks his fancy car in the driveway of his parents' mansion

It is a great white house with windows larger than a typical doorframe

It is a great white house with windows larger than a typical doorframe. The front yard is big as well with neatly trimmed grasses and a cobblestone pathway for cars to drive on.  In the middle of the driveway, creating a circular curve to the road, there is a sculpture of Hermes. A Greek God that I remember learning about in one of my Greek Mythology books. Nick slides his warm hand into mine making me wilt to face him.

He asserts me, "All you need to do is be yourself

He asserts me, "All you need to do is be yourself. Make our love story believable, but not too believable. I will take care of the rest.”

I feel speechless to say the least. How am I supposed to do that? Act? Did he not hear me when I was speaking to him? When I told him that the closest thing to acting that I have ever done in my whole entire life was being an Autumn tree? That was mostly because my theatre teacher felt sorry for me since I sucked at every other part that she gave to me. There was no autumn tree in the play, but she had to squeeze it in and make a few changes in the play. It was a sad summer love story... with a socially awkward autumn tree in the background. An autumn tree... in summer! Even then I sucked at that part because I forgot my lines. I had only one line, four words : ‘He went that way.’

When I feel Nick's intense stare at the side of my face, I come back to actuality. I try to look and sound calm but on the inside I have a feeling that something wrong is going to happen. Something that is going to turn this whole shenanigan upside down.

“Yes alright. Well you did not give me some time to rehearse, but I will see what I can do. I will try my best to make your family like me.” I promise to him.

No pressure, the voice inside my head snickers.

“I told you that you do not have to do anything but make our love story believable and I will sort out the rest.” grabs my hand and kisses the back of it.

When the two of us step from Nick's black car I gape at the large mansion that stood beyond the sidewalk. It towers over us like an attempt to scare us. The white coating of paint shines on the house in the moonlight. Hand-in-hand we stroll to the front door and I notice the beautiful designs that surround the house. On either side of the double wooden doors – decorated with designs that look like they are Egyptian – there is yet more statues of more Greek Gods. Nick watches as I stare at the sculptures with strange eyes.

“My parents have this weird obsession with Greek Mythology as you can see.” he confirms, chuckling to himself.

I laugh with him.

Around the yard of the house there are a bunch of neatly trimmed hedges that surround the house. The roof slants down at an angle that hides us from the moon. The windows have silky royal black curtains that are shut and in some rooms there are glints of light being shown. When Nick presses his index finger on the doorbell I take a glimpse of the designer black tuxedo he has on and the Vacheron Costantin watch on his wrist. I have not seen him looking so hot and he looks amazing all the time.

Even when he just wakes up he always finds a way to look great in the morning. Today he just looks so different. Dapper, mature and handsome with his hair gelled back out of his face for once. His face glows in the moonlight as he smiles at his down. When he catches me watching him I avert my gaze to the ground. The two of us wait patiently and silently until the door eventually opens revealing a woman in a stunning white cocktail dress.