forty five

New Year's Eve comes by and it is almost seven o'clock in the evening when Dad and Eric decide that we should go to the party that the Williams are hosting at the town hall

New Year's Eve comes by and it is almost seven o'clock in the evening when Dad and Eric decide that we should go to the party that the Williams are hosting at the town hall. The whole town is invited and I guess I have to go according to my parents. If we make it there early enough at least I could ask Eric to sneak me out so that I can quickly go to the airport. I could sit with Nick for an hour. At least I could have enough time to apologise for the way I reacted and just left him. Or perhaps I can finally... finally tell him that I love him so much. That I have for a while but I was scared to tell him. I could not for the sake of his and my safety.

“Autumn!”

My head swiftly turns in the direction of Eric's voice. The smile he had on his face slowly fades — “Are you okay?”

I nod and purse my lips, “Yes, I am totally fine.”

“Why did you not invite Nick?” he asks. “For the time I have known the guy I am pretty sure that he would have loved to be here.” 

“He is leaving for Stockholm tonight. Well his dad's pilot said that they are leaving just after midnight.” I truthfully explain him.

He looks at the time on his cellphone before he wilts to Delilah and gives her a quick kiss. “Hey Lilah I have to be somewhere real quick okay? But I will be back in time.”

She protests, “But Eric it is almost midnight and you promised – ”

He holds her face and leans his forehead on hers. They both stare at each other in the eyes in some weird type of way. The way the main characters do it in the movies. The way Nick and I did it. Did. It is nit ‘do’ anymore. How does something change from the present one minute and the next it is just the past? That it has all changed into history? All the do's turn to did's, and is turns to was. What could be mine is now what could have been.

“I will be back before midnight. I will be. Please just trust me on this Lilah – ” Eric's voice is so soft  that it takes me by surprise. He has never been so gentle with a girl before. Not that he was a player, but he just never acts this way. Well at least I have never seen him act this way in front of a girl before.

“I trusted you so many times and you always let me down. Eric I swear – ” tears well up in Delilah's eyes as her voice quivers.

“I love you Delilah and I am sorry for letting you down.” these next words that come out of my brother's mouth make me realize how desperately I need to get to Nick.

“Eric stay. I will do this myself.” I tell him.

“No it is okay Autumn it will really quick and – ”

I cut him off — “Did you mean it?”

He frowns at me, “Mean what?”

I glance at Delilah who stands awkwardly next to him, “Did you mean those things that you said to her right now?”

Without hesitation he inclines his head in agreement then turns to her when he replies, “Of course I meant it. Every word I said.”

“I-I love you too.” Delilah starts to cry when he kisses her.

“I gotta go. Happy New Year's lovebirds.”

———

I am so stupid. What was I thinking? I should have come here about an hour ago. It is already half an hour before midnight and of course — thanks to my guardians above — I cannot find a parking spot. And it is not like I can just park the car anywhere. Firstly because it is not mine, I borrowed it from one of Mr Williams' many sons —he has got about four that I can remember — and I do not want to get it towed. Secondly because I am not ready to get my first ticket. Plus it is so very obvious that there is no parking space. I mean it is a public holiday in which people are mostly moving around to get to their lived ones.

When I finally get the right spot to park the car I make my way inside the airport that bustles with people from the left, right and center. I run to the help desks and see a long line at every station. I decide to tap the person in front of me and he turns around with his toddler daughter in his hands.

“Yes how may I help you?” he smiles at me kindly.

“Do you know where the business lounge is? My friend is there and I really need to get to him before his plane leaves at midnight.”  my eyes are desperate and hopeful.

He points out directions in the west wing of the airport — “Gates four to seven are there. You might want to hurry.”

“Thank you so much.” I grin at him and at his daughter. I search for something to give to her in my pocket and I take out a ten dollar bill. I give it to her but the father tries to refuse.

“No really thank you. Oh and Happy New Year.”

“You too!” the man smiles warmly.

His daughter waves at me, “Thank you! Hope you find your friend!”

I hope so too...