twenty three

When we arrive at the hospital Nick stops the engine and parks adjacent to his father's car

When we arrive at the hospital Nick stops the engine and parks adjacent to his father's car. Which I am not that surprised about. When we left the house he was speeding past the limit until we drove passed the first gas station and he started to cuss at everything. I begged him to slow down so he did. After quite some time though then he felt overwhelmed and said that maybe he should turn back the car. He doubts himself and his emotions. He thinks that it would be best if we went back home rather than to the hospital. “We will see him in the morning when we are fresh and he is much better.” he declares, more to himself than to me. A sign of reassurance.

We silently sit in the car as the headlights automatically switch off. This leaves us in a dark car with a sad, acoustic song that hums in the background. Nick reaches out and switches the stereo system off, leaving us in total silence. It is dark outside and the only glints of light shining onto the paved road are the ones coming from two streetlights placed on the pavement. Both of them give off some sort of faint brightness of light.

Up in different Willow tree branches owls are hooting and tooting. I cannot spot them clearly as that part of the area – somewhere in the woods –  is darker than the night itself. Even during the day. Wolves howl from deep in the woods not too far away. I stare out of the window to see nothing much but a handful of cars and emergency ambulances. Nick opens his door, steps out of the car and closes it once again. I follow his footsteps before Nick locks the car. He leads me towards the entrance doors of the hospital.

I hate hospitals. I hate how they smell; like dead people and chemicals. I hate the way the people there are so sick and look like they are about to just die. There are so many germs in hospitals which is ironic. Once again, I hate hospitals.

We make our way to the reception desk. The tanned lady – with her black hair tied up into a high ponytail –  who stood behind the computer looks tired as her eyes glare at the screen. She does not even blink away, she does not see us. Or maybe she does. Nick taps the counter calmly – his face is void of any emotions – which catches the woman's attention. It is just a couple of minutes past twelve AM so she deserves to be sleeping at this time. Although she is on the night shift which means that she has to do her not-so-nine-to-five job just to get a good enough salary. To be able to pay for her debts and support her family of three; her, her son and her youngest daughter.

I assume of course. I mean I do not even know the woman to know her whole life story. I can just read her eyes. They just scream "SINGLE PARENT." I feel  myself getting tired with drooping eyes and a blurred vision.

“Good evening sir. How may I help – ”

Nick immediately cuts off the receptionist when he simply utters out, “Tatum Payne.”

She glances down at the computer screen once more and types on it for a bit. After a few seconds she replies to him, “Floor five, room fifteen.”