20

Suggested Music:
(All We Do -Oh Wonder)
"All I did was fail today."

THEN-That morning was the first morning being home, being out of the sanctuary

THEN-
That morning was the first morning being home, being out of the sanctuary. I spent most of the day outside helping around hilltop doing as much as I could for those who needed it. Daryl sat outside the trailer sharpening a knife watching me, I'd smile from time to time to acknowledge him. I didn't need him watching me every split second, but I understood he was nervous. Being here didn't mean we were safe, Negan was out there looking for us. It was risky, he believed Maggie was dead, and if he found all three of us here.. It wouldn't end well. Gregory stood at the top of the stairs watching me as I bite into a apple Jesus had given me. "He doesn't like us being here, does he?" I asked watching him, he looked away once he noticed me staring back at him. "Ignore him." Jesus said as he wiped his hands off on a cloth. "You, Daryl, Maggie, Enid, Y'all are safe here." He said to me. "Thank you Jesus." I said to him. "Your welcome Beth." He said shoving the cloth into his pocket. "You should take the rest of the day off, you don't owe anybody work." He suggested. The day was almost over, and I didn't see the reason to do anything else, he was right. Unlike at the sanctuary I didn't owe anyone anything, I didn't have to work to live, didn't have to worry about any of that. Here, I just pull my own weight and keep things steady. I nodded my head and threw the core of the apple into the trash can. Daryl stood up as he stopped fiddling with the knife. "You alright?" His voice was corse and dry when he spoke, he looked at me through his long moist hair, I lifted my hand and moved a strand from out of his face, he jerked a little before realizing what I was doing. "You should wash it." I said moving my hand back to my side. "Ain't no reason too." He shrugged me off and twisted the knife around so the handle was painted towards me. "Should be brand new again." He mumbled, I took the knife and slid it into the empty holster on my side. "Thank you Daryl." I said. "Mhm." He mumbled turning and going into the RV.

NOW-
Maggie stood beside me staring out the window, watching the gates, waiting. It had been several hours since Daryl had left after the group we had sent, but still we heard nothing. Maggie didn't speak much after I had told her the truth, and neither did I. We ate our dinner in complete silence, I wasn't sure if Maggie felt guilty for pressuring me to tell her or because she didn't know what to say.
"Beth." She mumbled folding her arms across her chest. "Yes?" I whispered not taking my eyes off the gates. "He'll be back." She said allowing her eyes to relax from staring at those damn gates. I nodded my head in agreement then turned my attention on to my sister who stood beside me. "I love you.. you are so strong." She mumbled pulling me into her arms. "I love you too." I mumbled taking a deep breath. "Get some sleep, they'll be home in the morning." She said releasing me from her grip and exiting my bedroom. I slipped out of my shoes and jeans leaving myself in just a white tank top and my laced panties, I blew out the candles that were lit all around the room then slipped into the bed. I knew I wasn't going to be able to sleep, not when they were out there, but if I stayed up I would drive myself crazy waiting on him, waiting on everyone to return safely. I laid my head down onto the pillow and pulled the blanket up to my chest. My eyes staring up at the white ceiling. I must've eventually doze off, the black swarming my eyes allowing my brain to cook up whatever it wanted.