[12] Glue

[Chapter 12]
Glue

     "Flo, please, come on!" Kathryn pleaded as she tugged on the sleeve of my leather jacket for the thousandth time. 

     I huffed and turned away from my locker to face her. I crossed my arms and took a look at her pouty face, her hands wrapped together in a begging manner. "For the millionth time, I don't want to go to a stupid football game." I said slowly, staring at her with a blank face. 

     "But, why?" She whined once more, bringing us back to square one. I groaned out loud in frustration, turning back to put away more books into my locker as Kathryn continued to present her argument. I pretended to nod along, only half listening to what she was saying.

     During out lunch period, Kathryn told me that she was part of the school's student body committee and I wasn't one bit surprised. From the way she was always terrified that I might have done something terrible that'll destroy school property or the way she picked up any litter she saw lying on the ground in the hallway, it was hinted to me that she was someone who cared greatly about her school.

     It wasn't that hard to put the pieces together. 

     So when she asked me if I was free after school to attend the football game tonight, she was utterly dumbfounded by my answer. As an active member in the student body committee, she thinks being a supportive peer is important and she's been trying to convince me to go ever since I said no. Apparently, it's a particularly important game tonight for the school because it's against Seaside High, a rivalling school that's been butting heads with them for about seven years or so now.

     I interrupted Kathryn's rant with another loud, protesting groan. I gave her a bored and irritated look. "Why is my attendance to this football game so important to you?"

     "Because you told me you've never been to any school events before! That's just sad, Flo." She shook her head at me, looking at me with a mixed expression of pity and disbelief. "At least give me a proper reason." She sighed.

     "It's not sad and I don't have or need a reason to not go." I shrugged nonchalantly, much to Kathryn's irritation.

     Unknown to Kathryn, there was actually a valid reason why I've never attended any school events during my time in all my previous schools. But if I told her the truth, I'd have to tell her all about my past, the incident, my family and basically every factor that contributed in creating the mess I am today. 

     I'm sure that would take a lot longer than ten minutes to explain.

     It's been a while since I've been reminded of that incident, since there's been so much going on and my mind's been fully occupied. But now that we were on the topic of a school event, it's like I'm living that awful night again through the eyes of my nine year old self.

     I quickly cleared my head of those dreadful memories, slightly shaking my head as I do so. "Don't you hate sports?" I swiftly changed the subject, raising an eyebrow in question as I placed a hand on my hip.

     She pursed her lips together in thought for a while, then scoffed. "I don't hate sports. I just don't like doing it. Watching is fun." When I stared at her with unamused eyes, still standing my ground, she let out a frustrated huff. "Come on, Flo! Please? I just want us to hang out more." Kathryn begged once again, jutting her lip out into a pout and stared at me with wide, pitiful looking eyes.

     I scrunched my nose up and sneered at the adorably, persuasive face she's purposely displaying. I knew what she was trying to do — she's trying to get me to say yes by playing the guilt trip card. I gotta give her some credit because she's sure doing one hell of a good job of it. I rolled my eyes and after a few moments of contemplation, I let out a huge sour sigh. "Ugh, fine!" I threw my hands up in exasperation as I shut my locker close.

     A wide grin quickly took shape on Kathryn's lips. She cheered in victory, her voice unintentionally coming out at its maximum volume, attracting a few odd looks in our direction. She suddenly wrapped her arms around me and squeezed me tightly. "I knew you'd cave." She smiled, pretending to let out an evil cackle.

     I laughed at her actions, any annoyance I felt towards her earlier soon vanished. I cleared my throat and awkwardly patted her back as I slowly attempted to wiggle out of her side hug, seeing as I'm not really used to receiving so much affection. The bell rang, signalling the start of fifth period, which instantly made Kathryn release me from her tight-gripped hug. At the thought of being late, she gave me a worried look. "We should go. What if we're late for AP Calculus?"

     I gave her a strange look once she started walking off in the direction of our next class. With or without me, she wanted to get a head start. I didn't mind of course, we were going to the same classroom anyway, there was no need for me to be by her side the entire way there. "Kat, you're being paranoid." I called after her as I trailed behind slowly, not bothering to match her fast pace.

     "Yeah, that's what they all say before someone gets killed in a horror film." She hollered over her shoulder without looking back. I chuckled and shook my head at her. 

     Unlike the paranoid pain in the ass that is Kathryn, I took my own sweet time towards the classroom. By the time I arrived, Mr Matthews was still no where to be seen. I gave Kathryn, who already had all her books and stationery organised neatly across her desk, a smug 'I-told-you-so' look. She stuck her tongue out at me childishly, causing laughter to erupt from me as I subconciously sat down in my seat.

     Because Leo was sitting at the desk that was next to mine, I immediately took notice of his staring. He looked at me, grinning from ear to ear. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. I glanced at Kathryn to see her mirroring my exact expression. "Why the hell are you looking at me like that?" I asked, a little creeped out.

    He chuckled and flashed me a toothy smirk. "Nothing." He snickered, stifling his laughter. 

     Kathryn and I shared a puzzled look and she shook her head, getting back to her work. I glanced around and saw that almost everyone in class was trying to contain their laughter. They whispered amongst themselves, thinking that I wouldn't think it's about me when it clearly was.

     Mr Matthews entered the classroom, automatically silencing the entire class as everyone sat down in their seats. "Mr Archer and Ms MacIntyre, I need to speak with the both of you." He announced, waving us over to his desk. Leo got up first and I attempted to follow his actions, but I froze when I realised something. 

     My ass was glued to the fucking chair.

     I looked up at Leo and he confirmed my suspicions immediately. He was practically howling with laughter, bent over and clutching his stomach. Everyone else soon followed suit, the class now booming with laughter and chit-chat, all in hysterics from Leo's prank. 

     "Everyone, settle down!" Mr Matthews roared at the class, his voice overpowering the talkative and laughing students. Students quickly quieted down, all of them frightened by their now fuming teacher. Leo stopped laughing as well, but still wore a small smirk on his face. Mr Matthews looked around the classroom, confused and frustrated. "What has gotten into all of you? And Ms MacIntyre, didn't I ask to speak with you and Mr Archer?" 

     "Yes, but—"

    "Well, stand up then!" He scolded and crossed his arms, his temper already running short.

     I gritted my teeth in aggravation and stood up, accidentally hitting Kathryn's desk behind me with my chair as I do so. I carefully made my way to the front of the classroom so I wouldn't accidentally poke someone's eye out. Soft snickers travelled around the classroom as I stood in front of an appalled Mr Matthews. "Oh my goodness." He gaped. He then closed his mouth and rubbed his chin uncomfortably. "How did this happen? Wait, never mind that. You go to the bathroom right this instant and fix that." He pointed to the chair.

     "Kat!" I called over Kathryn, who snapped out of her stunned and mortified trance. She instantly caught on and nodded, quickly coming to my side. I shot Leo one more threatening glare, which earned me a toothy, smug smile in return. I could hear people still snickering as I waddled my way out of class — I could imagine how ridiculous I looked at the moment. I felt ridiculous, like a circus clown.

     I'm going to kill him. 

Hey! Thanks for reading! Please VOTE and COMMENT! :)