[24] Within His Mind

*There are many important changes to this chapter so please do read all of it to get a better feel of the plot.

[Chapter 24]
Within His Mind

— LEO'S POV —

I was knocked down to the ground for what seemed like the millionth time today. A pained groan instantly escaped my lips as my face was pressed against the grassy ground of the football field. The feathery grass tickled my cheek the same time the musky aroma of the dirt entered my nostrils.

Like a pack of well-trained dogs, the shrilled scream of Coach Adams' whistle automatically caused the entire team to stop the drill. Whoever that tackled me stood up, and I gasped out in relief, attempting to fill my lungs with as much air as possible. I immediately grabbed the hand that offered to help me up, so out of breath that I didn't even bother to identify the helping hand.

"Archer!" Coach Adams yelled as I was being pulled up to my feet.

I glanced up at him, my chest still heaving up and down as I desperately tried to catch my breath. Coach Adams marched towards me, each player taking a step back as his surrounding aura of frustration and anger physically shoved through the team.

     Oh, shit.

I quickly stood up straight and ignored the stinging soreness on my back as Coach Adams halted before me. Despite the few extra inches I had over him, his intense gaze could still manage to intimidate me.

"You haven't been playing your best this past week but today was by far your worst day yet." He huffed, a slight tone of worry laced beneath his tough exterior. "What's the matter with you, boy?"

I glanced around me to see every one of my teammates staring at me with pure curiosity and concern, which they had every right to be. Our next game was in a few days, and there's no way they could afford having their captain in such bad shape.

I looked down at Coach Adams as he raised an eyebrow at me expectantly. I sighed and rubbed the side of my face. "I'm sorry, coach. I just have a lot on my mind right now."

More like, I had someone on my mind.

Coach Adams lifted his baseball cap and ran his fingers through what's left of his hair, the sunlight reflecting off of his bald spot. He let out a mixture of a sigh and a groan or whatever it was, all I knew was that he was practically reeking with frustration. I bit down my lip, utterly disappointed with myself as I looked down to the ground to avoid everyone's pressuring gaze.

"I think you should sit on the bench for the rest of today's practice, Archer."

My head instantly snapped up to meet his eyes. I could feel my lips slightly parting as I stared at him in surprise, absolutely certain that I heard him wrong. Coach Adams' deep voice pierced through the erupting murmurs, but it was his words that really struck me. I've never once been benched in the entire four years I've played football, whether it was a real game or just practice — so it was understandable to say the least, that it shocked everyone, myself included, to hear those words ever leave our coach's lips.

"Wait, but coach—"

He raised his hand to stop me from saying anything else, succeeding as he did so when I clamped my mouth shut.

"Look, son, I know it's unusual for you to have an off day like this but it literally happens to everyone." Coach Adams gave me a sympathetic smile as he gently placed his hand on my shoulder. "I'd rather have you watch from the outside and see if you could detect any mistakes the team might have made instead of wasting your energy by practicing unproductively. Understand?"