[29] Explanations III: Florence

[Chapter 29]
Explanations III: Florence

| Part II |

Age 9

     After the tantrum I threw yesterday, my mom kept her promise and talked to dad about coming to the football game later this evening. She told me that after a long discussion with daddy, they both decided that she'll be able to come with daddy to the football game later to watch me cheer. It couldn't make me happier to know that she was finally going to come after so many months of being too busy.

     This morning however, mom and dad said that they had to stop by the office for a while to finish up some meetings, so that their evening would be completely free. When they got back, mommy immediately went up to her room after giving me a hug, and she's been in there ever since. Dad says that she didn't get enough sleep last night, so she's taking a nap to store up the energy she would be needing for the game later.

     Mom did seem really tired though.

     When I greeted her this morning as well as when she hugged me when she got home, I got a close look at her face and she had some pretty dark circles under her eyes, making it seem as if she's aged a few years. I wanted to go up to her room and ask if she was okay, but dad didn't let me, telling me it was best if I just let mom get her sleep.

     I didn't argue and spent the entire afternoon cooped up in my bedroom just like mom, thinking to myself the entire time, why my dad would still let mom continue to work if she was already so tired. Dad also seemed a little more stressed out than usual — the meeting this morning must have went pretty badly to get dad this angsty and mom that exhausted. It's also been hours since mom went up to her room to take a nap and it's now thirty minutes before we're supposed to leave.

     I was already dressed in my cheer uniform and had my hair done in a typical high ponytail. Since I was already somewhat ready, with my sports bag half packed in my room, I was just lounging in the living room watching a movie. After some contemplation, I decided to go check up on mom to let her know that we were supposed to be leaving soon, and maybe cheer her up a bit.

     I am a cheerleader after all.

     I felt a burst of energy from how excited I was about our long-awaited family time, so much so that I decided to take the stairs instead of the lift up to the third floor where my parents' bedroom was located. I panted lightly after trudging up the three flight of stairs, the adrenaline from my excitement doing a good job of hiding the real exhaustion from entering my consciousness.

     Just as I was about to knock on the half-opened door, the discussion my parents were in peeked my interest when I heard my name being mentioned. "Elizabeth, Florence will be just fine — we've raised a strong girl. You need to rest and-"

     "No." My mom sighed. "I don't want to let Flo down again. I've been spending too much time away from her." I carefully looked inside, to see my dad sitting on the bed with his back towards me, blocking the view of my mom, only allowing me to get a short glimpse of her worn out face.

     "You have plenty of opportunities to spend more time with her." My dad assured her. But if I wasn't imaging it myself, it was as if his voice wavered, even if it was just for a second. "But as for now, all you have to worry about is getting enough rest."

     Mom lets out a weak chuckle. "James, you and I both know that I-"

     "Hey!" Dad called out angrily out of nowhere, strongly grabbing my mom's hand in his. "Don't you dare think that way." He raised his voice and although he was attempting to sound strong and confident, his tone of voice ended up coming out rather shakily instead.