Chapter Twenty One

We were ushered back upstairs to the waiting room where Trevor waited and jumped up when he saw us. I walked up to him feeling light and airy, hopeful like he had been earlier. I looked up to him shaking my head trying not to cry. He took my hands in his and I said, "It wasn't her." The color still drained from his face as he shut his eyes and loosened his grip on my hands. He had let out a breath and dropped his shoulders trying to keep it together.
What he had said next completely surprised me. He said, "Then we have to find her." He let out another deep breath. "She's out there and we have to find her." I nodded and just stood up on my tippy toes kissing him like my life depended on it. He put his arm on my waist to keep us upright and I just kissed him as much as I could. I was thankful that he had been here for me, for us. He was the light at the end of the dark tunnel. I needed to keep him around me..
but first we had to go down to the station and tell them that she was still out there.
They told us that they didn't have enough evidence to keep Sean there so they had to let him go by tomorrow. He was still in custody but he denied ever seeing Aimee Friday night despite her phone being there. My father didn't understand and was getting frustrated the more they tried to explain to him.
"Where the hell is my little girl!" He screamed and I don't think I had ever seen him this upset. My mother and I stood behind him also looking for answers. My mom was fragile in all these moments, bursting into tears the moment they had any news. I had never seen her like this, so vulnerable and emotional. It was difficult to watch her like this. It was difficult to see my father like this. We were just looking for answers.
They said they sent out another search team and dogs to scope out Red Hue. That just wasn't enough for my father, he wanted to see Sean and talk to him but the officers refused until he was released. Then my father began to question about the minor charges he should have for sleeping with a minor. He was relentless. The cops eventually told him that they would look into it all but essentially they had to let him go. My father didn't even dare to bring up what he had done to me and had just given up.
He turned to me and said, "I'm going to go look for her because it sounds like they can't."
"Ben they said they have people out there." My mom reminded him trying to console him but he just walked out of the office. My mom followed after him and I after her.
He was heading to the car when she said solemnly, "Ben, please."
He turned back to her and marched back shaking his head furious. "No, no! You don't get to do this, you don't get to play the victim Sandra!" He yelled at her and I looked to him shaking my head but he paid me no mind. "You refused to let me see my girls for two years!" He ran his fingers through his hair and took a step back and then two more forward. "I only got to spend time with her for two weeks Sandra, two fucking weeks and just like that," he snapped his fingers hastily. "My baby girl is gone! Without a fucking trace!" He began to cry and come down from his rage. He was shaking his head repeatedly and trying not to cry. "My little girl, she's out there!" He sobbed and my mom went over to comfort him telling him she was sorry over and over.
Trevor pulled up beside me with my car and he rolled down the window.
"You should go home, get some sleep." He looked over my face and then to my parents. I felt awful for them but I couldn't comfort them. I only wanted to find her. I wanted to bring her back to them.
"She's out there somewhere Trevor." He reached out to grab my arm. "We have to find her before it's too late."
"I know and we will." He nodded sure. He was so sure.. "She's out there."
"Come home with me." It just came out. I looked into both of his eyes. "Please." I knew I'd feel safer with him beside me. I'd feel more upbeat and not so tense. Right now he was my missing puzzle piece. He was going to help me through this.
"Of course." He swallowed hard and licked his top lip. "I will."
I looked back to my parents and they were still talking so I ran to the other side and got into the car with Trevor.
I had waved to my parents and we drove back to my place. I had to grab my bag before we went inside. The door was locked, I checked before we went inside. I told him that I wanted to go upstairs and that he should join me so we could fall asleep.. Sleep wasn't exactly what I had in mind.