Chapter Forty One

I had went to help Trevor when he was let out of the hospital. I knew I was spending far more time with him than I had hoped but his mom had asked me if I could go and pick him up because she had an urgent appointment so I did without question.
Instead of going to lunch, I had left school and went to the hospital to pick him up because he had been released early. He was surprised to see me when I went up to his room.
"Em? I figured my mom was coming for me." He laughed packing up his things and fixing up the hospital bed.
"She had an emergency." I walked into the room wiping my hands on my jeans and sighing.
"Didn't realize how close you two were." He snickered finally looking up to me. You could tell he didn't have access to a razor because it was the first time I had ever seen him with hair on his face in a while. He looked much older with it and far more mature. I liked it because it brought out his eyes far more.
"She just asked me to do her a favor." I walked over to go help him father his things seeing more people had dropped off flowers and cards for him. "I came here for lunch so,"
"Well shit let me take you out then after school." He offered standing up straight to look at me as he ran his fingers through his hair.
"I don't think that'd be a good idea." I snorted and he nudged me with his shoulder playfully.
"I owe you more than that Em." He said softly and I turned to look at him frowning at myself mostly.
"I told Issac that I needed time." I confessed searching his eyes.
"So that's what was wrong with you yesterday huh? I'm assuming you'd like to do the same with me then." He looked down to me and I felt he was being understanding too.
"I just don't know what I want yet." I said quietly chewing the inside of my mouth.
"And that's okay Em but uh," he looked away from me and pushed his hair from his face seeming a bit stressed now. "We should get going if you want to make it back to school on time." He bent over to grab his things and then walked past me to go check out of the hospital. I sighed shaking my head and picking up his box of flowers and gift before walking out to put it in my car.
He came out minutes later to join me and put his things on the backseat before he turned to face me saying, "I still would like to take you out, as friends you know. I literally owe you my life Em."
"That's more than fine Trevor, I'd like that very much." I smiled to him and he returned the smile seeing how that I was ok. I just figured the closer I was to him, the more I'd like to just kiss him. And I've been wanting nothing but that every time I saw him. What the hell was wrong with me?
I had dropped him off at his house and helped him inside with his things realizing I still had time to spare.
"I think there's fruit, my mom always has fruit in the house." He said walking to the kitchen and I shrugged. "I know you don't eat much, you're just like her you know." He laughed shaking his head.
"Like who?" I asked curious and he looked back to me rolling his eyes.
"My mom, she's always too busy to eat. Claire was the same way." He sighed now reminiscing his sister. "Be careful, she might take you in to replace her."
"Am I like her?" I asked laughing and he nodded quickly and without hesitation.
"That's why I'm telling you to be careful." I now rolled my eyes and stood across from him as cut up some apples for me.
"I'm always careful. I think your mom just likes me and appreciates me looking after you." I shrugged and he looked up to me.
"That was always Claire's role, she loved me and cared for me. When my mom started going back to school for neurology Claire was the one he took care of me. I was a pretty broken child."
"Disobedient I'm sure." I laughed and he handed me a piece of apple.
"Troubled too. My mom wasn't around because she was afraid of me." He scoffed shaking his head. "She thought I was going to die at any moment."
I ate most of the apples and listened to him as he talked. He didn't sound happy about what he was saying or realizing but I was glad he was opening up to me again. I always enjoyed that. But I had to get back to school so I didn't miss anymore. I had also picked up all of his schoolwork and handed it off to him. Also told him that coach sent his well wishes and told him to get his shot together which made him laugh. Who know how many games he had missed or practices. I did not keep up with the sports this year and honestly I was glad that I hadn't. I did miss cheering for him though..