[Chapter 6]

Every news reporter was covering the latest story on the USJ incident. So you'd opted out of turning on the television in your living area for days now. It didn't matter because you were occupied with something else entirely. You had been researching and studying the large case of files your father graciously lent you over the weekend. While everyone else was recovering, you had been slaving over the confidential information.

"There's gotta be something..." you groaned and tossed the 15th packet aside. There were photos of the crime scene, pages long of written statements....nothing out of the ordinary right away. So, you took one last glance at the photo that stood out to you. A white sheet covered the body before they could stuff it in a body bag but you noticed your mother's bloodied hand uncovered. A lump formed in your throat as you looked on; attempting to piece the puzzle together. In her hand was the same dragon carved jade necklace she always wore. It now hung around your neck. How did it manage to find it's way to you? Moreover, how did it escape the crimes scene?

As overwhelming as it was, you sat in front of the black box and fingered through the files until you found the one you were searching for. It contained nothing but statements by the military. Although almost all of their allegations were against you during the case. Wasn't surprising but you hoped you'd never have to see another military official for the rest of your life. You couldn't finish getting through the files with the sudden ringing of your phone. You answered—annoyed at hearing the voice at the other end.

"I'm busy..."

"It's great hearing my daughter's voice after so long too"

"We just talked yesterday, that's enough communication for me" you retorted. You figured you'd talk to him anyway since he obviously wanted something. "What do you want?"

"Your brother is flying into town today. I thought maybe we could all go to dinner tonight"

"And your schedule allows that?"

"You'd be surprised. So, are you going or not? I know for a fact you don't plan to study that entire case I gave you" You rolled your eyes and glanced at the box.

"I was almost finished actually. I suppose I'll spend time with you two" Once the conversation was over, you hung up and got ready for tonight.

You and your brother had every reason not to trust your father. He practically abandoned you during the time of your mother's death; that was when you decided to go your own ways. The only reason Lucius; your arrogant father, had to be in contact with you was to monitor your progress at UA. Seeing your older brother was relieving nonetheless.

"So what's this whole accident Dad mentioned over the phone earlier?" You sighed—not even responding his question. He was always so worried about you that it irritated you a little. "Earth to sister..."

"Our class got cornered by some villains is all..."

"How many and who were they?"

"It was just a few villains, Clint..." you mumbled; being extra careful not to spill the soup you were picking over on your dress.

"All in all, I think she did well. The reporters can't stop raving about it" Lucius interjected. It didn't take long until they both found something else to talk about—leaving you out of the fray. You didn't mind, you preferred not being interrogated by your family anyway. The two men talked and you partially listened. That was always how these conversations went. That is until Lucius began turning the tables on you again.

"You gave her mom's files?" Your brother protested; his stern glare not wavering from yours across the table. "You don't think that's a bad idea?"

"She's handling the information with ease, I'm sure it'll play out wonderfully Clint" the tension between your father and brother was exceptionally high and it was hard to enjoy the expensive meal in front of you without having to think about who'd start yelling first. Lucius didn't seem bothered by it; amused if anything. Their emotions were enough to give you a migraine. So you decided to break the ice.

"So...how's working in another country?" You hoped you'd asked the right question. Thankfully he complied.

"Fairly overwhelming. There are some high tech heroes that request high tech gear. The least I can do is give them their equipment and send them off"

"Working in advanced technology like that is bound to have its downfalls" You two always got along nicely for a few minutes before he found out about something you did he didn't quite agree on. Thus, birthing your sibling arguments. You loved him, he just had his 'be the annoying big brother' periods. "Well, I've gone through 88% of the files and found something interesting..." he was going to speak but you cut him off in a hurry. "I, however, don't wanna hear the classic 'you're too young' lecture getting stuffed in my ears, ok? She was my mom too..."

"Alright, share" he folded his arms and listened to what you had to say.

"I found a specific photo in the pile. Typical crime scene of the investigator snapping pictures for future reference. That didn't strike me as odd. I looked a little closer and noticed that her bloodied hand was holding something. The same necklace I'm wearing is the exact same one she wore all the time. I don't remember her giving it to me, so who did?" You asked between the two. You were determined they knew something you didn't. "Don't lie to me, you know I can sense these things"

"Y/N, we really don't—" The lights around you had blown suddenly causing glasses and ceramic plates to fly. Blurred vision threatened to consume you as a loud ringing sound invaded your ears. The smell of smoke filled your nostrils but your body wouldn't move—the pain unbearable. All you could remember were the screams and cries of people panicking to exit the burning restaurant and a visible face in the shadows.

Dark hair, sinister turquoise eyes, and a small flicker of blue flame illuminating from his palm...

That's when your vision receded completely.

~~~~~
Y'all better enjoy this! Don't know if it was long enough for ya but have at it! Also, my dog is sick so wish him well! Keep those eyes peeled for an early Christmas special chapter! 😉🎅🏻

And I'll see y'all in the next one!

Bye guys! 💋✍🏾