[Chapter 9]

So sorry for not updating in a while! Just a little something I whipped up in my spare time. It's short but enjoy!

~~~

"Looks like I win...for the fourth time" You were on your hands and knees; trying to catch every bit of oxygen you could. You had to admit that he was just so much stronger than you. In quirk and physical strength. "Here..." he offered you a hand but called you out on your stubbornness. "Just take the help someone is offering you for once, you dork"

"Did I mention how much I hate you?"

"Several times, yes. In fact, more than once a day. You know, if I didn't know any better I'd say you hate admitting the truth to yourself"

"Oh that's bullsh—" You yelped as his hand went over your mouth—stopping you in mid sentence.

"You should really watch your profanity sometimes. How would your dad feel if he knew what you were saying every 5 minutes?" You swatted his hand away and brushed past him.

"Like he even cares, Dabi" he didn't respond to your statement. Instead he just threw an arm around your shoulders and ruffled your hair.

"Lighten up, will you? You're gross when you're angry"

"You're gross all the time" you mumbled; attempting to fix your hair.

"That's why you love me"

"Yeah right"

~~~~~~~~

You leaned against the wall and took a deep breath—your exhaustion getting the better of you. Training was tough, and it was the only time you actually used your quirk. You felt ready for the Sports Festival but there was a lot still on your mind. How you could best strategize, studying and keeping your grades up, and looking into the restaurant incident. So far you'd learned that whoever that man was working for or with was definitely villain associated.

"Y/N...your break is over"

"Godammit Todo I just sat down..." You groaned as you stood to your feet. He had allowed you to take a 5 minute break from training together—but you swore 5 minutes hadn't passed.

"We need to finish for the day. What were you thinking about?" This wasn't the first time you'd zoned out during training today; you figured it was better to zone out on your break than during a sparring session—which you had already done.

"Nothing" you lied. It wasn't intentional you just didn't want to worry him. He knew something was up—the slight tension in the air.

"Are we friends?" You sighed heavily—as you knew this was coming sooner or later.

"Yes..." You muttered; purposely avoiding eye contact.

"...Remember that promise we made as kids?"

Damn it, Y/N how could you forget that?

"Yeah I remember...I just didn't wanna worry you because I know how protective you are. Honestly, you're like a second brother" That didn't trigger a response from him unfortunately. But you could tell by his expression that he cared—brother or not. "Someone broke into my house"

"Who was it? Did you see their face?"

"I don't know. They were gone by the time I figured it all out. They were going through my mom's information but they left this ring" You reached into your pocket and let Shouto examine the silver jewelry.

"....There's an inscription here"

"What?" You leaned over to get a closer look and it turned out he was correct. Neatly inscribed on the surface was someone's initials. "J.M.R....who could that be?"

"Whoever found your mom's federal files interesting. It's likely they never finished looking through them" You didn't know who the hell could possibly care about confidential files in regards to your dead mother, but you could bet they'd be back to finish their search. "Do you want me to stay with you tonight?"

"No, don't do that. Seriously, I can handle myself"

"We all know how handling yourself goes when it comes to your quirk" You rolled your eyes and headed for the sparing mat you two had been training on.

"You have absolutely no faith in my quirk, huh?" Shouto pondered your statement before meeting you on the mat.

"You have a good heart. I trust you wouldn't brutally injure someone unless they were threatening your life" you smirked—swiftly flipping your friend onto his back.

"If all else fails, I could just knock them out the old fashioned way"

"I think you've been around military officials for too long..." you offered a hand; helping him to his feet.

"Maybe...."

~~~~~~

Again, I apologize for not being able to update for so long. I'm working on my other book as well, so check it out if you like Attack on Titan! Till next time

Bye guys ✍🏾💋