Leaving Berk

Hiccup P.O.V
I was running from Snotlout and the twins...again. Because I beat them in Dragon training they are pissed and now they are chasing me through Berk in an attempt to beat me up.

I don't look where I am going and eventually I run head first into Astrid sending the two of us tumbling to the ground. I didn't stop to apologise before I got up and ran off into the forest and hopefully to the safety of my best friend Toothless.

I heard Astrid calling me asking what was wrong but her voice soon faded as I made my way into the deeper parts of the forest. No man in their right mind would come this deep due to the wild dragons that lived here, but they knew me and won't harm me so I felt safe. Safer than in the village that was certain.

I ran into the Cove and was met by my best friend Toothless. Toothless is a dragon, a Night Fury to be exact. He was a small black dragon that was quick as the lightning Thor threw.

As I entered the cove Toothless bounded over to me with a gummy smile. I hugged him as he approached. He let out a purring sound and leaned into my hug. I couldn't help but begin to cry from all my emotions.

"I dunno what to do Toothless, I hate being here, I just want to be loved by someone...I hate Berk," I sobbed. Toothless understood my pain and gave my face a little lick of understanding. I smiled a watery smile.

An idea came to form in my mind. Why didn't I leave? I could be free of Berk, free to fly and live as I please...I could be free. Toothless warbelled in concern over my glazed over expression, I smiled at him as I made my decision.

"I think we should just leave, what do you say bud?" I asked him grinning.

Toothless seemed to like this as he began bouncing around excitedly while warbling happily. I laughed and patted his head while giving him a scratch under the jaw. Toothless smiled his gummy smile and a smiled back.

"I need to go to my house and grab a few things," I said with a small smile.

I turned to leave and as I made it to the opening to the Cove something struck my chest throwing me to the ground. I looked up to see Snotlout with an evil smile.

"Thought you got away huh?" he said happily.

Then the twins appeared at his side snearing at him as he lay there. Snotlout lifted his foot to stamp on me  I braced for impact but it never came. I opened my eyes to see Astrid with her back to me and Snotlout and the twins laying on the ground. She was breathing heavily and I could see her axe glinting in the sun. She turned to me and smiled a little offering her hand to help me up.

I took it gladly and stood up. Snotlout began to stir and he slowly stood up with shaking legs. He looked at me and Astrid with anger and then it left his face to be replaced by absolute fear. I was confused and looked at Astrid who was also confused.

Snotlout pointed behind me and I turned in time to see Toothless running towards me. Before I could react he grabbed me in his gummy mouth and bounded out of the cove. I could hear Astrid and Snotlout shouting my name but it faded away.

After a few moments he dropped me off at the beach on the southern side of the island with a gummy smile. I knew I couldn't return to the village now. I should leave and let them think I died. They'd probably be happy about it and throw a party to celebrate.

I sighed and looked out at the beautiful blue sky and shook my head, not how I planned leaving but I guess I have to go now.

I turned and climbed onto the back of Toothless, he turned his head and looked at me with concern in his eyes. I smiled at him to make him feel okay and then we took off so start our new lives.

Astrid P.O.V
I stood in shock at what just happened. Hiccup was taken by a dragon, a Night Fury no less. I felt many different emotions running through me, sadness, regret but mainly anger. I turned to look at Snotlout who was equally as shocked as I was. I felt my anger bubble over and I grabbed him by the front of his tunic.

"ARE YOU HAPPY NOW SNOTLOUT!? HE IS DEAD BECAUSE OF YOU AND THE TWINS! I HOPE YOU BURN IN HELL FOR THIS AND I WILL MAKE SURE STOICK KNOWS WHY HIS ONLY SON DIED!"

I punched him in the face and he fell to the ground like a sack of dung, I turned and ran the whole way back to the village. Many people looked at me in concern but I needed to see Stoick.

I came to the Great Hall and opened the door to find Stoick and Gobber laughing together. I ran up to them tears beginning to fall as I could barley contain my grief. Stoick stopped his laughing and looked at me with concern as did Gobber.

I sobbed out, "H-hiccup h-he was t-taken." I collapsed to me knees crying I didn't know what Stoick or Gobber's reactions would be and I didn't care at this point.

"Snotlout, h-he chased H-hiccup into the f-forest w-where he was t-taken, it's his f-fault..." I said through my grief filled sobs.

Stoick P.O.V
I was in shock, I lost Valka to them and now I lost Hiccup. What made it worse was that it was caused by my own nephew who chased him to his death. I felt anger grow inside me as I saw poor Astrid crying her eyes out over my son. I knew they were close. Gobber stood up and I could see tears falling from his eyes as he crouched down next to Astrid and comforted her. My grief and rage pounced in my chest.

I turned to the guard next to me, "BRING ME SNOTLOUT NOW!"

The guard ran out of the Great Hall with some others following him, within moments the guards came in with a struggling Snotlout and the anger in my chest finally burst, "SNOTLOUT I AM CONDEMNING YOU TO A LIFE IN PRISON FOR WHAT YOU DID TO MY BOY, YOU CHASED HIM TO HIS DEATH YOU USELESS SACK OF YAK SHIT!"

Snotlout cried out in fear but the guards dragged him out of the hall and dragged him to the cells.

As soon as he was out of sight I began to cry myself. I let the tears fall and I too joined Gobber in comforting Astrid.

"He was all I had after my parents died chief," sobbed Astrid with grief. I nodded in understanding.

"I know he was all I had left too, he was a good boy, a bit crazy but he had his mother's heart," I choked out.

A thought hit me, I had to voice it.

"I'll take you in, we can be family to each other," I said shakily.

"Okay chief," she sniffed as she hugged me deeper. I will never get over my sons death but I am happy knowing that his tormentor is being punished for causing his death.