Blood of a Chief

Astrid P.O.V
I stood outside the healers hut waiting for news on Hiccup's condition. I sat there for hours waiting along with Fishlegs, Stoick, Eret and of course Astra; we were simply hoping for the best, Hiccup is a strong chief and if he survived worse then I am sure he will survive this.

Astra remained cuddled into my chest for comfort, she wouldn't speak to anyone except me. Not even Stoick could get Astra to talk to him.

There was a silence that hung among us like a cloud of despair. No body wanted to break it, but eventually the unanswered questions from Fishlegs did.

"So is he really...our Hiccup? The one from Berk?" he asked the group at large. I sighed and knew someone would need to explain, yet part of me felt that it should really be Hiccup that should be explaining this whole ordeal.

I took a deep breath and looked to Stoick who nodded as if encouraging me to tell Hiccup's tale, I took this as permission and I nodded back to confirm that I would tell what I knew.

"Yes Fishlegs that is Hiccup from Berk, and this little cutie-" I said lovingly while cuddling Astra,"-is his daughter Astrid Emily Haddock."

Fishlegs smiled at the little girl who gave him a quick wave before putting her thumb back in her mouth and turning her face back towards Astrid's chest again as if she were trying to hide herself from the looming situation of her father.

"Why'd he leave us?" asked Fishlegs softly but with curiosity being evident within his voice and his round face, there was a long and pregnant silence, no one seemed to know why he left in the first place; but one individual among them did.

"He had enough of the bullying, from what I could understand. The chief was fed up with it and decided that the best thing to do was leave, over the years he traveled the archipelago and beyond becoming stronger than any chief in history. He discovered hidden worlds and far away lands and trained with dragons every day until he became the most feared and respected man the world over. The Dragon Master, though he only really uses that title when he wants to scare the absolute shit out of someone...I mean seriously wouldn't you if you had only heard legends of the Dragon Master!" said Eret in response, I nodded in agreement with his words and Eret continued his story, "Hiccup saved so many people, him and his wife Emily both did. I hate to admit it but I used to work with Drago Bludfist. He was cruel and evil, but I hated every moment under his employ. One day I was on a boat heading to this very island with Dragon Trappers to take all the dragons on this very island. But Hiccup came out of nowhere and blew our boat to smithereens. I was floating in the water scared and alone. Then I passed out, when I woke I was on the beach with Hiccup standing over me, and trust me when he is pissed off he is scary. But he said only one thing to me...."

The whole group leaned in expectantly wanting to know what Hiccup had said on that fateful day. Eret shivered and spoke but his voice was softer, "He said to me 'If you came here to cause any disruption to my dragons or my people I will cause you more pain than you thought possible.' I was scared, I told him the entire truth and he smiled at me and took me in, he cared for me like I was his brother and I made a promise to him and Emily that I would never revert back to my old ways. That I would be the best possible man for the village and the dragons. I owe everything to Hiccup."

Eret's voice was filled with emotion and a few stray tears fell but he wiped them away with the backs of his hands. He looked up at the group and gave a small smile, "All of us here on Dragon's Edge have been saved by Hiccup and brought here for a better life...even Heather. Heck even you guys, you came from a war ridden land to Dragon's Edge in search for a better life and safety!"

The whole group nodded in agreement with Eret and Stoick leaned back against the hut as if her were pondering something. 

Fishlegs looked like he was pondering something as well then he looked around a bit, "Well that was an amazing story Eret but you mentioned Hiccup had a wife called Emily...where is she? His daughter is here but I thought she'd come to look after her husband?"