10 Months Later

Since the funeral Hiccup had become more ruthless when it came to his enemies. Now none dared go against the Dragon Master as more stories began to circle the entire archipelago about his new found attitude. 

Hiccup dragged an Outcast warrior into the center of the Aurora Islands village and threw him to the ground. The warrior began clawing at the ground attempting to escape. Hiccup slowly walked towards the man and stood on his back making him howl in pain. The onlookers watched on, afraid of upsetting the Dragon Master more than he already was. "Where is Snotlout hiding? Where is the base?" snarled Hiccup as he increased pressure on the base on the man's spine.

"I-I don't k-know! Please I beg you...have mercy!" yelped the man in response. "MERCY!" yelled Hiccup as he kicked the man over and held a dagger to his throat, "You want mercy when you're leader drove this very dagger through my daughter's heart!" The onlookers began to whisper to themselves at that news.

"Please...I didn't know," begged the Outcast warrior. "LIES!" yelled Hiccup as he sliced the man's cheek with the dagger. The man yelped when the cold steel cut his flesh.

"Now I am going to ask once more and you will answer truthfully or die. Do you understand?" asked Hiccup in a cold voice that made everyone shiver. The man nodded in response. "Good...where is the Outcasts base?" he asked in a cold tone. "I've never been there...but it's apparently on the edge of the world," answered the man looking sheepish. "The. Edge. Of. The. World?" repeated Hiccup with suppressed anger. "Do you know how many idiots I have killed who gave me that answer?" asked Hiccup as he pushed the blade into the throat of the Outcast making beads of blood appear, "I have killed so many that you wouldn't believe me if I told you...but I want you to live. So you can take a message back to your leader for me."

"A m-message?" asked the man fearfully. "Yes, tell them that the Dragon Master is coming...and soon all. Will. Burn," said Hiccup as he put away the dagger and stood back up allowing the man to stumble to his feet. "Now go and deliver my message...or I will come find you...and gut you," snarled Hiccup. The Outcast nodded and ran in the opposite direction of the Dragon Master.

Hiccup let out a loud and long whistle, moments later Toothless appeared next to him. Hiccup climbed onto his back, "Come on bud. Let's go home." Toothless took off heading in the direction of Dragon's Edge.

It wasn't too long before Hiccup landed  back home. He got off Toothless and gave him an appreciative pat on the head. Toothless crooned before waddling off towards the forest. Hiccup watched his best friend go and let out a long sigh.

"Well how'd it go?" asked Astrid as she approached Hiccup. Hiccup took off his helmet and tucked it under his arm, "Johan was right, there was an Outcast on that island. As far as getting information that was useless." Astrid placed a comforting hand on his shoulder, "You'll get there Hiccup. Snotlout knows you and your whole alliance is looking for them. Heck with Arendale joining us in the search I am sure he's not going to be poking his head out of his hiding hole for a while."

"You some how know how to make me feel better," said Hiccup with a very rare smile, but as quick as it appeared it was gone again. "I'll always be there to pick you up Hiccup...always," said Astrid as she wrapped an arm around Hiccup's shoulder, "Now why don't you join me in my cabin for a mug of mead and some food after working so hard."

Hiccup rubbed the back of his neck, "I guess I could use something to drink." Hiccup allowed himself to be steered through the ever expanding village and towards Astrid's home.

Astrid's house was small and simple. It sat on the edge of the village and was neighbored by the forest. It was cozy and welcoming. Astrid opened the doorway to her home and stepped inside closely followed by Hiccup. He set down his helmet on the table by the door and limped over to the large chair by the fire that Astrid pointed to. Hiccup sat down and allowed the warmth of the fire to wash over him. It was welcoming after a long day flying through the cold winter air.

Astrid sat down in the chair next to him and passed him a large mug of mead. Hiccup muttered a word of thanks before taking a swig of the liquid.  Astrid cast a quick glance in his direction before taking a sip of her own drink. After a few moments of silence she eventually spoke, "Do you think...never mind," said Astrid with a blush appearing on her cheeks.

Hiccup turned and faced her, his one eye gave her a calculating look, "What is it you wish to ask me?" he said in his deep voice. Astrid sighed, "Do you think we'll ever manage to end the Outcasts?"

"Why are you asking this?" asked Hiccup with a raised eyebrow. "Well...I dunno it just seems that they are growing in numbers everyday. Even if you take out Snotlout and Alvin they will keep coming. I mean they have thousands behind them! How do we stop that!?"

Hiccup leaned back in his chair, "Because we have something that they don't," said Hiccup softly. Astrid scoffed, "Dragons are great and all but-"

"Not the dragons Astrid," interrupted Hiccup. Astrid was confused, "What?" Hiccup gave a rare smirk, "We have hope. My wife and child may no longer be with me but they are watching over me. They guide me and inspire me to be a better man."

"Oh," was all Astrid could manage to say. Hiccup and Astrid just stared into the flames enjoying the comfortable silence. Eventually Astrid broke it again, "Hiccup?"

"Hmmm?" answered Hiccup to show he was listening. "Why did you leave Berk?" she asked in a fragile sounding voice. Hiccup was surprised by this sudden question, "I thought you knew."

Astrid shook her head to show she hadn't known. Hiccup set down his empty mug and leaned forwards staring into the now extinguished fire, staring at the dying embers, "When I was young, I found Toothless in the forest. I wanted to kill him, to prove I was a viking like all of Berk...but when I looked him in the eye I realized something. This beautiful creature, it was a living, breathing and feeling creature. In that moment he was terrified. Afraid I was about to kill him...that was the moment I knew. I wasn't a viking."

"What do you mean you weren't a viking?" asked Astrid as she stared at Hiccup. Hiccup exhaled, "I realized I wasn't a viking...I was a dragon. I left Berk because my father realized that the Berkians would not accept me and Toothless. So with his help I faked my death and left. Wasn't like anyone would miss the runt of the village," said Hiccup sounding bitter.

"I missed you," said Astrid quietly. Hiccup looked at her surprised, "Really!?" He sounded shocked. Astrid nodded in confirmation, "When I thought you died I blamed myself. I thought I was to blame. I thought that I was the reason you died. So I kinda became a loner...until your Dad took me under his wing."

"I never thought I would affect you like that," muttered Hiccup, "I'm a freaking jerk." Astrid reached over and placed her hand over his, "No you're not. You did what you had to do to become who you are today."

There was a brief moment where they looked into each other's eyes and there was some form of connection. There was a knock on the door that broke their moment and Astrid looked away blushing.

The door opened revealing the rather large frame of Stoick the Vast. "Ah son, the council is calling for a meeting." Hiccup stood up and walked past his father grabbing his helmet from the table as he went. The moment the door closed Stoick's gaze met Astrid, "So...you and Hiccup are getting along very well." 

Astrid nodded, "Yeah we really are." She stood up and grabbed the two empty mugs of mead and depositing it on her kitchen table. Stoick crossed his arms and gave her a knowing look. "What!?" asked Astrid as she leaned against the wall. Stoick shook his head, "I have had the pleasure of being your father for nearly 9 years. I have seen you go through a lot and I know that you are in love with Hiccup."

Astrid's face went as red as a tomato, "I don't know what you mean." Stoick sighed, "Astrid I know. Okay? I just don't want you to get your hope up that you can end up with him. He's been through a lot. He's lost his wife and his child, but to make it worse it was his own cousin that did it to him. Don't get your hopes any higher. Move on."

With those final words Stoick left, leaving Astrid standing in her home with tears forming in her eyes. Stoick was right, Hiccup was in mourning and probably isn't looking for a relationship. "Why have the gods cursed me?" she asked quietly as she slowly shuffled up stairs to her room with sadness in her heart.