What Are We?

Astrid sat at the window of her cabin looking up at the large stone castle where Hiccup resided. She felt an emotion in her chest, it was love but underneath it...uncertainty. Hiccup was silent the whole flight back, he barely looked at her the entire time they were in the Great Hall.

Was he regretting kissing her? Did he not reciprocate her feelings? Was this all going nowhere? She needed to know. She had to know.

Astrid grabbed stood up from her chair and made her way out of the door and towards Hiccups domain. As she walked many villagers waved but she did not wave back or even notice them as he mind was over run with thoughts of doubt and worry. She was about to walk onto the path leading to the castle when Stoick grabbed her arm from no where.

"What are you doing?" he asked in a lowered whisper. "I need to talk to Hiccup," she answered in a matching tone. "Not today. You've both been to Helheim and back, whatever it is can wait until tomorrow," said Stoick as he steered Astrid back towards her home.

"I have questions," whined Astrid as Stoick ushered her through her door. "I am sure you do but you have to go to bed," said Stoick with a stern gaze. "Whyyyyyy?" whined Astrid further. "Because I am your father and I said so," answered Stoick with a smirk. "You're not leaving 'till I go to bed are you?" asked Astrid with a pout. "Of course not," said Stoick with a laugh. Astrid smiled. "I'm staying here until morning to make sure you stay in bed," answered Stoick with a chuckle.

"Crap," pouted Astrid as she ascended the stairs to her bedroom. "Don't think about sneaking out the windows either I will know!" shouted Stoick from the bottom of the stairs. "Yeah I know I had plenty of experience when I was a teen," shouted back Astrid. 

*

Astrid felt something looming over her. Something big. Something she was afraid of. She kept her eyes closed hoping that it would go away. But no, you cannot escape it.

"Astrid get up," sighed Stoick as he shook Astrid in an attempt to wake her up. "I don't wanna," mumbled Astrid as she pulled the furs closer to her body. "If you don't you won't be able to have that talk with Hiccup," said Stoick with a smirk.

Astrid sat upright, "Where is he!?" Stoick chuckled, "Doing the rounds of the village. He'll probably be at the library by now checking on Fishlegs and Ruffnut." Astrid nodded but Stoick rolled his eyes, "Are you even going to get out of bed?"

"I would but I'm naked under here," said Astrid as her held the furs tighter around her body. "Oh," said Stoick as he turned the left the room to give Astrid privacy to get dressed. Astrid threw back her furs and stood up stretching each limb. She approached the mirror and looked at the minor wounds from the day before that littered her torso, the most noticeable being just beneath her right breast, it was a long but shallow gash from an Outcast sword. It didn't hurt but it did sting a little. She sighed and grabbed her red tunic pulling it on to cover her naked torso. She grabbed her leather and spiked skirt and examined it, "Not really feeling like wearing you anymore."

She threw the spiked skirt onto her bed and approached a chest at the bottom of her bed and opened the lid. On top of all her other clothing was a blue dress that Queen Elsa had gifted her, she never actually wore it and didn't really pay much attention to it, but now that she looked at it she couldn't help but admire it.

The dress was a eggshell blue with intricate floral patterns stitched into the fabric, and the material was soft and flowed through her hands like water. It was a dress that would reach just above her ankles and was cut low enough to show off her bosom without making her looking poorly.  "Hmm I think I'll wear you today," said Astrid as she pulled off her red tunic and pulled on the blue dress allowing the straps to rest upon her shoulders. She approached the mirror and inspected herself, "Not too bad. Maybe I should do something about my hair."

Astrid grabbed her brush from the chest and began straightening her locks of platinum blonde hair until they were perfect and shimmered with the light. "Wow I never thought I could look this good," muttered Astrid as she inspected her hair, dress and body in the mirror. She smiled as she sat down and pulled on a pair of boots that Hiccup has made her with a sheep skin lining to keep her feet warm. These were the most comfortable shoes that she owned and they looked nice as well.

The moment she was ready she opened her bedroom door and descended her staircase into her downstairs living room. "By Odin's beard!" said Stoick as his eyes fell upon Astrid, "Lass you look...like a princess." Astrid blushed at the compliment, "Uh thanks. I just wanted to try something different today." She walked towards the door, "I'll see you later Dad. I'm, going to see Hiccup." When the door closed Stoick chuckled, "She'll knock him dead."

Hiccup was limping around his village attending to his people. "Excuse me...Mr King sir," said a little girl as she approached Hiccup in front of the forge, "Yes little one?" asked Hiccup as he bent down to talk to her. "There's a princess in the village," said the little girl with a smile. "Really? Well who is this princess?" asked Hiccup with a smile. The villagers loved seeing their king interact and humor the children. "Yup, she's over there," said the little girl as she pointed over Hiccup's shoulder.

Hiccup turned and he could feel his heart stop, a woman in a blue dress was talking very happily with none other than his healer Heather. She was one of the most beautiful women that he had ever laid his eyes upon...it was Astrid. 

"You're right...she is a princess," muttered Hiccup as he stood up. "Excuse me," muttered Hiccup as he straightened himself up. The villagers looked from their king to Astrid with fond smiles, he deserved a little happiness and love in his life after all he had endured, after all he had sacrificed. Hiccup slowly approached Astrid fixing his hair and his beard as he went. Heather nudged Astrid and nodded towards Hiccup before muttering something under her breath and walking away.

"You look...wonderful," said Hiccup breathlessly. "Thank you; and you look good too," said Astrid with a soft smile, "Can we go for a walk?" asked Astrid with a shy look upon her face. "Of course," said Hiccup as he offered her his arm and they began their walk through the village.

"Your father told me you went to see Ruffnut and Fishlegs. How are they?" asked Astrid as she held onto Hiccup's muscular bicep. "Ruffnut is getting better and their baby, let's just say that he's as tough as his mother and father," chuckled Hiccup as he limped a little while walking. "Hiccup I've been meaning to ask...what are we?" asked Astrid in a fragile sounding voice. Hiccup stopped walking for a moment and looked at her with a look she knew all to well from when they were kids...he was thinking.

"Honestly, I'm not sure. I know I have feelings for you. But...at the same time," began Hiccup. "You still love Emily," supplied Astrid with a understanding smile. "Yeah," said Hiccup with a sigh as  he leaned against the wall of a house, "I care about you but at the same time I feel this conflict inside me. I-I feel guilty."

"Guilty?" questioned Astrid as she also leaned against the house. "Yeah. I feel guilty because I'm falling for you...but at the same time I love her," said Hiccup as he rubbed the back of his neck. "Well how about this...we take it slow. See where it goes from here," suggested Astrid. "I'd like that," answered Hiccup with a slight smile. "C'mere," said Astrid softly as she leaned in closer to Hiccup.

It was as if something was pulling him closer to her, all he knew was that the moment that their lips connected it was like a fire was sparked within him. In that moment the guilt finally left him, the conflict was resolved and in that moment he knew in his heart the he loves Astrid Hofferson.