Hearts and Hope

Stoick and Astrid made their way to the the village inn and they were guided by a young man called Erret son of Erret. Stoick was glad to see that not much had changed since the last time. Everyone was still here and there was actually quite a lot more people living on the Edge than the last time. But it all seemed to be working really well for them.

The only thing that was different was Astrid, her attitude wasn't as open and accepting as the last time they journeyed through this. She seemed to be more closed off and more calculating than before. Right now as she walked beside Stoick she remained silent. As they entered the inn the bar tender waived them towards him.

"Alright, as the king has asked you both have the best rooms in the inn. Go upstairs and your rooms are the ones with the Nightfury emblem on the door," explains the bar tender as he pours a mug of mead for another customer. "Thank you," says Stoick in return, whilst Astrid just gives the man a glare.

When they go upstairs the hallway is abandoned so Stoick takes the opportunity to speak with Astrid, "Why are you acting like this?" Astrid looked at him with actual tears in her eyes, "You knew this whole time that Hiccup was alive and you never told me. I thought he was gone and you let me believe that I failed him...and now here we are on his island and we're meant to pretend that nothing happened and be thankful that he is giving us a place to stay!"

"Astrid...Hiccup needed to leave Berk. There was no choice in this," said Stoick pleadingly. "Yes there was," said Astrid as she hugged herself, "I...I had fallen in love with Hiccup back on Berk. He was kind, and gentle. He wasn't like any other viking and that's what I loved about him...now he's here and...I'm no longer the one he likes."

Stoick grasped her shoulder in comfort, "Listen Astrid, I know this doesn't make sense but believe me when I say that things will work out for the better. The gods are smiling on us and gave us this chance with Hiccup. We just need to use it."

Astrid hugged Stoick surprising the older man. He was hesitant and wrapped his arms around her. "Thank you...for being my dad," whispered Astrid as she tightened her grip around his waist. She let go and gave him the first smile that he has seen dawn her features in a long time. Astrid turned and entered her room closing the door gently as she did so. Stoick gave a sigh of relief before entering his own room. He was about to lay down on his bed, the only problem was that someone was already seated on it.

The Goddess of Love smiled upon Stoick as he stood in the room looking shocked. "I am glad that you found your way," said the Goddess of Love with a softness to her voice. "Yes...but things are not the same," expressed Stoick with a glance towards the door. 

"No they are not the same, but they are better," she explained. "How is this better? My son was not meant to intervene in the battle of Berk. He most definitely was not meant to lose an eye!" exclaimed Stoick in frustration as he sat down in the chair that was allocated in the corner of the room.

"Yes the reason Hiccup arrived to save you was because of one thing and one thing only," said the Goddess with a smile, at Stoick's confused look she elaborated, "Love. He came back for love. You showed him love when he needed it the most and in return he came back to Berk against his own wishes to save not only you but your entire village. Have you not noticed that Gobber is alive and well this time. Have you not noticed that more of your village escaped with their lives?"

Stoick nodded, "Yes and I am grateful. But won't this mean everything will be different from the last time?" The Goddess of Love smiles, "Is that such a bad thing?" Stoick didn't answer but sat there pondering everything that has happened. The Goddess gets up from the bed and gives Stoick a smile before disappearing as if she had never been there in the first place. "Maybe she is right, maybe this is another chance at a new life," says Stoick as he lays on top of the bed sinking into the feather mattress and falling into a gentle slumber.