A Wizard

60 years earlier... The unexpected journey

A much younger Bilbo sat on the same bench outside Bag End, once again smoking his pipe. He looked up in surprise as an old man with a long grey beard appeared in front of his gate. He was wearing a long grey robe, a pointy grey hat and carrying a rather large (especially to a hobbit) walking staff.

"Good morning." Bilbo muttered to the man, the confusion evident in his features.

"What do you mean? Do you mean to wish me a good morning, or do you mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not? Or, perhaps you mean to say that you feel good on this particular morning. Or are you simply stating that this is a morning to be good on?" The tall man inquired.

"All of them at once, I suppose." Bilbo said, still confused to who the man was. "Can I help you?"

"That remains to be seen. I'm looking for someone to share in an adventure." The old man said as he assessed Bilbo from under his wide brimmed hat.

"An adventure? No, I don't imagine anyone west of Bree would have much interest in adventures. Nasty, disturbing, uncomfortable things. Make you late for dinner." Bilbo told the man. He then proceeded to get up and check his mailbox, grabbing the mail and sorting through it. He looked quite uncomfortable as the man stayed where he was. Puffing on his pipe in vexation, he began to head back inside. "Good morning."

"To think that I should have lived to be good morning'd by Belladonna Took's son, as if I were selling buttons at the door." The old man said disapprovingly to the now bewildered hobbit.

"Beg your pardon?"

"You've changed, and not entirely for the better, Bilbo Baggins." The man said still looking intensely at the small hobbit.

"I'm sorry, do I know you?" Bilbo asked trying to place the tall figure in front of him but having no luck.

"Well, you know my name, although you don't remember I belong to it. I'm Gandalf! And Gandalf means ... me." Gandalf told him with a laugh.

"Gandalf...not Gandalf, the wandering Wizard, who made such excellent fireworks! Old Took used to have them on Midsummer's Eve. Ha! Hmm, I had no idea you were still in business." Bilbo said with a smile as he fondly recalled the incredible fireworks he had seen as a child.

"And where else should I be?" Gandalf asked amused at his reaction.

"Ah, hmm..." Bilbo stuttered as he puffed confusedly on his pipe.

"Well, I'm pleased to find your remember something about me, even if it's only my fireworks. Well that's decided. It will be very good for you, and most amusing for me. I shall inform the others." Gandalf said as he began to walk away.

"Inform the who? What? No. No. No! Wait. We do not want any adventures here, thank you. Not today, not-. I suggest you try over the Hill or across the Water. Good morning." Bilbo rambled in frustration, as retreated into Bag End, gesturing at Gandalf with his pipe. Once inside, he bolted the door and leant against it. Hearing a curious noise, he put his ear close to the door. Outside, Gandalf drew a glowing symbol on Bilbo's door with his staff. Alarmed, Bilbo looked out his side window, only to find Gandalf appear in front of him. He jumped back and hid behind a wall. He moved to another widow and looked out in time to see Gandalf hurrying away.