To the King

Dain screamed for his troops to fall back to the mountain as Amara shot past him on her horse. Another horn sounded as Azog prepared to make his final push.

The dwarves in the mountain looked up as the horn echoed through the hall but it was Kili who spotted his uncle returning from the heart of the mountain first. He stood and walked forward as the other dwarves looked up.

"I will not hide behind a wall of stone while others fight our battles for us!" Kili screamed at his uncle while walking forward. "It is not in my blood, Thorin."

"No. It is not." Thorin agreed as he placed his hand on his nephew's shoulder. "We are sons of Durin. And Durin's folk do not flee from a fight." Thorin leaned his forehead against Kili's before walking to the others. "I have no right to ask this of any of you. But will you follow me, one last time?" The others all stood and smiled.

Amara and the dwarves reached the mountain but the orcs were moving towards them in the masses. Trolls moved out in front before they charged. Amara knocked her remaining arrows but was thrown off as Bombur appeared on the ramparts and blew a horn. The orcs slowed down as the horn died off.

The makeshift wall in front of the mountain entrance was shattered as the golden bell slammed through. The stones made a path across the water and the company of Thorin Oakenshield came charging out of the mountain. The dwarves split ranks as Thorin ran through. Amara kicked her horse forward and let her last arrows fly.

"To the king!" Dain called to rally his troops. "To the king!"

The trolls were brought down by the archers before carnage once again ensued. But the dwarves fought with newfound strength by the side of their king. Dain and Thorin embraced as Amara rode up, slicing heads off the orcs in her way.

"This is hopeless." She told them. "We have to cut the head of the snake." She gestured towards Azog with her sword before swinging around and slashing a few orcs who got too close.

Thorin nodded to her. "Aye. We have to take out their leader."

Amara smiled. "Ride with me."

"It would be my honour." Thorin said as he climbed onto a ram. "I'm going to kill that piece of filth."

"And how do you both expect to fight your way to Ravenhill?" Dain asked as Dwalin, Balin, Fili and Kili rode up on one of the last chariots.

Amara urged forth her horse as Thorin and the chariot followed. They crashed into the awaiting orcs and sliced any who got in their way. Dwalin manned the onboard crossbow and let arrows fly. The trolls came after the chariot like they had with the others and Balin turned sharply to avoid them. As they neared the slopes of Ravenhill, Balin urged the others onto the rams and cut them loose. They re-joined Amara and Thorin and began to scale the hill. Azog noticed their approach as they rode through the ruins of the old watchtower, killing his soldiers as they went. One by one they abandoned their rides to fight on foot. Amara jumped from her horse and threw her sword into the last orc as it came up behind Fili.

"You took your time." She smiled as she embraced Kili and then Fili.

Back in Dale, Legolas and Tauriel finally arrived from Gundabad and rode through the ruins, cutting down orcs as they progressed. Legolas pulled his horse to a stop as they came across Gandalf.

"Gandalf!"

Gandalf turned. "Legolas." He said with relief as Legolas dismounted. "Legolas Greenleaf."

"There is a second army. Bolg leads a force of Gundabad orcs. They are almost upon us." Legolas informed the wizard before looking around.

"Gundabad. This was their plan all along. Azog engages our forces, then Bolg sweeps in from the north." Gandalf realised.

"The north. Where is the north exactly?" Bilbo asked worriedly.

"Ravenhill." Gandalf said turning to glance at the old watch tower.

"Amara is up there with Thorin, and Fili and Kili, they are all up there." Bilbo voiced.

Tauriel and Legolas looked towards it with determination.

On the top of Ravenhill, Thorin walked to the edge of the frozen river that ran between them and Azog's post.

"Where is he?" Kili asked as he looked upon the abandoned post. "It looks empty. I think Azog has fled."

"I don't think so." Thorin glanced at Amara, who was looking as uneasy as he felt. "Fili, take your brother and scout out the towers. Keep low and out of sight. Amara go with them." They turned to go but Thorin stopped them. "If you see something, report back. Do not engage. Do you understand?"

The three of them nodded.

"We have company." Dwalin warned as he walked over. "Goblin mercenaries. No more than a hundred."

"We'll take care of them. Go! Go!" Thorin urged them.

Amara led them forward just as the goblins jumped the wall. They crouched under the ledge provided over the river before cautiously making their way across.

In Dale, Thranduil had recalled his soldiers and was making his way out of the city, only to find his path blocked by Tauriel.

"You will go no further." Tauriel warned. "You will not turn away, not this time."

"Get out of my way."

"The dwarves will be slaughtered."

"Yes, they will die. Today, tomorrow, one year hence, a hundred years from now. What does it matter?" Thranduil walked forward while the rest of his company stayed where they were. "They are mortal."

Tauriel drew her bow and aimed the arrow between Thranduil's eyes. "You think your life is worth more than theirs, when there is no love in it? There is no love in you."

Thranduil looked to one side before slicing Tauriel's bow in half. "What do you know of love?" He rested his sword under her chin. "Nothing! What you feel for that dwarf, is not real. You think it is love? Are you ready to die for it?"

Thranduil was snapped out of his glare as orcrist removed his sword from Tauriel. Thranduil met the eyes of his son and relief flooded his system. But he did not show it.

"Do you not think enough blood has been spilled today?" Legolas asked his father. "Amara needs our help. Tauriel, come with me." Legolas gave his father one last glance before turning towards Ravenhill.

"Those gems were not all your wife left you." Gandalf said to Thranduil as Legolas walked out of sight. "She left you a son. Tell me, which would she have you value more?"