Pain and Suffering

Amara, Fili and Kili came to a cross roads in the tower they were searching. They heard a creature roar and Kili went to run towards it but Fili stopped him.

"You both search the lower levels. I've got this." Fili told them.

"Are you sure?" Amara asked, unsheathing her long knives.

Fili nodded.

"Alright." Amara and Kili nodded and they both left Fili and walked down the opposite passage.

They walked with weapons drawn through the lower levels, but the passages they checked were completely empty. Amara felt a cold chill run up her spine; she did not like this at all. As they came to the end of the last tunnel that opened out onto the frozen river, a drum began to beat. Amara and Kili shared a look of unease as they cautiously glanced out of the opening. They watched in horror as Azog held Fili out over the edge a few floors above where they were stood. Amara grabbed Kili's arm to hold him back.

"This one dies first!" Azog called in his own tongue. "Then the brother, and then you, Thorin Oakenshield. You will die last."

Amara and Kili noticed Thorin, Dwalin and also Bilbo move forward to the edge of the out crop.

"Go!" Fili pleaded as he made eye contact with his uncle, but Thorin shook his head. "Run!" Fili was cut off as Azog plunged the sword that had replaced his severed hand through Fili's back until it exited through his chest. Thorin looked on in horror as tears formed in Bilbos eyes, Dwalin began to cry and had to look away; and Amara and Kili gripped each other's arms.

"Here ends your filthy bloodline!" Azog dropped Fili's lifeless body to the ground below.

Amara and Kili took an automatic step back as Fili landed in front of them.

Kili's arm slipped from Amara's grasp as he started to run towards the steps for the higher levels. Amara was momentarily frozen, her vision replaying in her mind, before she took off after him with both of her knives drawn.

"Kili!" Thorin screamed as he too began to run.

Dwalin started after him. "Thorin! Thorin, no!"

Amara was barely ten steps behind Kili as he exited the corridor they were in and headed up some more stairs. He came face to face with an orc but he quickly swung his sword to disarm it and then decapitate it.

Thorin had gone to follow them but was cut off by Azog appearing from one of the tunnels. Bolg's army arrived and Bilbo found himself stood alone about to face them down until Dwalin came to his aid. Legolas and Tauriel arrived at the bottom of the watch tower to see Bolg's war bats appear and swoop down to the battle beneath the mountain.

"No." Tauriel murmured as she realised that Bolg's army had arrived.

Legolas looked up at the watch tower with worry before spotting an incoming bat. Without hesitation, he jumped, grabbed hold of its feet and let it carry him upwards. He left behind a stunned looking Tauriel who quickly came to her senses as she saw Kili and Amara facing down a pack of orcs while making their way up through the tower.

"Kili." She said before setting off running.

Amara and Kili were making progress, but it was very slow. It seemed that every corner they rounded they came upon another rabble of orcs. Tauriel encountered the same problem as she tried to reach them.

Legolas was still clinging hold of the bat as he surveyed the watch tower. His eyes noticed Bolg's army advancing over the far walls and Dwalin struggling to slay them all as Bolg hit Bilbo over the head and the hobbit fell to the floor. Legolas flipped himself over so he was hanging from the bat by his feet and drew his bow. He saw a tower approaching and loaded two arrows. He fired into the bats head and landed perfectly unharmed atop of the tower. He stood and immediately started looking for any sign of Amara. He could not locate her but instead watched as Azog threw Thorin across the frozen river. As the other orcs began to run at the king, Legolas drew his bow again and began firing at them. Thorin gave him a glance of gratitude before killing a few himself.

"Kili! Amara!" Tauriel's voice carried through the watch tower and momentarily distracted Amara. She did not see Bolg approaching and in no time, he had her pressed against a set of steps.

"Amara!" Kili screamed and tried to fight back down to her.

Amara threw her elbow backwards and it connected with Bolg's face. He stumbled back and she slashed at him with one of her knives but he grabbed her arm. She swung the other and he let go. She landed a few hits but most glanced off his armour. She went for another strike but he caught her right arm and pulled it back. She cried out in pain before he formed a fist and hit her on the head. She collapsed to the ground, dropping her knives as she went, and was vaguely aware of Tauriel and Kili both screaming her name as they tried to get closer.

Bolg closed his fist around her neck and lifted her off the ground as she tried to kick out at him. He smiled as he tightened his grasp around her neck. She summoned all of her strength, threw her body forward and connected her right leg with Bolg's knee. His leg gave out as he grunted in pain and released his grip around her throat. She swung at him but he dodged it easily as she was still disorientated from the hit to the head and lack of oxygen. Bolg grabbed her arm and threw her into a wall. She hit the ground and all the air once again left her lungs. Bolg drew his metal staff and prepared to land the final blow, but Kili suddenly jumped from the ledge above him.

Bolg blocked Kili's sword as Kili landed on his back and tried to stab him. They were locked together until Bolg found the strength to flip Kili over onto the steps. Kili quickly got to his feet and threw himself back at Bolg. Bolg blocked his jab with ease and Kili had to duck as Bolg swung at his head. Kili swung his sword but it just glanced off of the armour covering Bolg's stomach. Bolg caught Kili's arm and punched him in the face before using his grip on Kili's neck to lean him backwards slightly.

Amara got to her feet and grabbed her knives before launching herself at Bolg. One of her knives embedded itself into his shoulder but the other glanced off. She tried to get a good hold but Bolg threw her off once more. She rolled to the edge of the cliff and stopped. One of her knives was still in Bolg's back but the other was just out of reach. She tried to push herself up but could not find the strength. She watched, helpless as Bolg lifted his staff and plunged it through Kili's chest.

"Kili!" She screamed, though her throat was hoarse as tears began to cascade down her cheeks. She heard Tauriel scream from just below as Bolg dropped Kili to the floor.

Amara summoned the very last of her strength and grabbed her remaining knife. She pushed herself up and slashed straight across Bolg's staff arm. He howled in pain and dropped the staff from the cliff. Amara stumbled backwards as Bolg moved towards her. She tried to slash at him again, but he caught her hand in one hand as the other wrapped back around her throat. As Bolg pushed her own knife towards her, still in her hand, she knew what she had to do. She could not drop the knife with Bolg's grip around her hand so she let Bolg use it to pierce her abdomen. She screamed in pain as Tauriel finally appeared at the top of the stairs. She locked eyes with Amara and watched in horror as Amara locked her arms around Bolg and took the last step backwards, off of the cliff.