The Vision Comes True

Amara stood in the middle of a barren landscape surrounded by jagged rocks. She had no idea where she was. A chill ran up her spine as she began to feel as though she was being watched. She turned around slowly, unsure of what she would find. There was a black tower rising above her. She moved her eyes to the top and stumbled backwards. At the top there was an eye; an eye engulfed in flames. To her left there was a tall, black gate. Waiting behind it were legions and legions of orcs. They made Azog's forces look like a daydream.

The image shifted.

She found herself stood in the main courtyard in Rivendell. But she wasn't alone. Her father sat at the head of the circle. A hobbit she did not recognise was on one end next to Gandalf. She recognised herself next to Legolas, on the other side of Gandalf with several other elves from the woodland realm with them. Next there were several dwarves, one of which was a much older looking Gloin. Lastly there were several men whom she did not recognise but the last one, on the end near her father, she did. He looked older, but Aragorn's face was not easily forgotten. The vision seemed to move closer the centre of the circle. On a pedestal, in front of her father, was a single golden ring. Amara moved closer and hovered her hand over it. The image of the eye reappeared and she was thrown out of the vision.

Amara's head was pounding and she felt as if someone was jabbing a red-hot poker into her stomach. She groaned as she opened her eyes to a dimly lit tent. Legolas seemed to jump up as she looked at him.

"You are awake." He smiled.

"You seem surprised." She murmured. Her voice was hoarse and she gently pushed herself into a sitting position to grab a glass of water that rested next to the bed. She pressed her hand over the wound as Legolas turned and called to someone outside of the tent. Elrond walked in followed by Gandalf, Bilbo and Thranduil.

"Ada." Amara was surprised to see him.

"Your injuries were severe..."

Amara cut him off. "I know. I will never have a child." She looked up to see all of them looking confused. "I saw it. Two futures that could come to pass. Tell me, is Thorin dead?"

"Yes." Gandalf informed her. "He died killing Azog."

"They will lie them to rest in the heart of the mountain." Amara said as she glanced quickly around the room. Legolas sat down next to her on the bed and reached for her hand.

"They are making the arrangements now." Elrond informed her.

Amara looked back at her father. "That was not all I saw."

"What did you see?" Elrond sat in the chair that Legolas had vacated.

"An eye of fire atop a black tower and an army of orcs larger than I have ever seen waiting behind a black gate." Amara finished and Gandalf and Elrond shared a look.

"What you saw was the fortress of Barad-dûr and the Black Gate of Mordor." Gandalf said gravely.

"I was under the impression that particular enemy was destroyed long ago." Legolas spoke up.

"The ring of power was never destroyed. Sauron's life force is tied to it, while it endures so will he." Elrond said.

"But the ring was lost long ago." Thranduil said.

Amara shook her head. "No... I also saw a war council in Rivendell. Ada, you were leading it and Gandalf you were sat with a hobbit that I did not recognise. We were both there." She turned to Legolas. "Along with several dwarves, the only one I recognised being Gloin, and a group of men, one of whom was Aragon. The rest I did not know. But both Aragorn and Gloin looked older."

"So, this enemy is not as close as we thought." Elrond said.

"There was a ring, on a pedestal in the centre of the meeting. When I got close to it, I saw the eye." Amara shared.

"Saruman has gone to investigate the happenings in Mordor. For now, let us not dwell too much on what is to come." Elrond said before he, Gandalf and Thranduil walked out.

Legolas helped Amara pull her travelling clothes back on as Bilbo finally spoke. "I am glad that you are okay. The dwarves stayed until they knew you would be fine."

"I'm glad. I have never known better company." She gave Bilbo a sad smile as they walked out of the tent to find Gandalf and Elrond waiting on horses, along with Legolas' horse and a pony. Legolas gave Amara a boost onto the horse before climbing on after her. Bilbo did not look happy to be on another pony.

As they entered the hall in the heart of the mountain, they were met with the company moving around three tables of stone. Thorin had been laid in the middle, Fili and Kili flanking him on either side. The tables were lined with candles and each of the fallen were to be buried with the sword they had died with. Thorin had the Arkenstone resting on his chest; the dwarves had decided it would be buried with him. Amara walked over to where Kili lay and let the tears run from her eyes. She grasped the dagger the healers had pulled from her side, and laid it next to Kili on the table. She wanted him to be buried with a piece of her after he had died trying to protect her.

Amara walked back over to stand next to her father and Legolas as Gandalf began speaking. Legolas slipped his hand into hers and the company lined up next to them.

"The King has come unto his own," Gandalf started. "Under mountain, under stone. Send him now into the deep, unto earth, eternal sleep. Under mountain, under stone."

"Under mountain, under stone." The company echoed.

"Through all the lands, let it be known, the king is dead!" Gandalf turned to Dain and his army who were stood above them.

"Long live the king!" Balin stepped forward and raised his sword.

The rest of the company echoed him and followed suit. The dwarves around Dain raised their swords in salute of the new king under the mountain.