What May Come

The people of Lake Town gathered what belongings they could find and prepared to leave the shores of the lake.

"Take only what you need, we've a long march ahead." Bard reminded everyone.

"Where will you go?" Legolas asked.

Bard looked at the elf solemnly. "There is only one place." Bard said before walking off.

"The mountain." Alfrid said as Legolas turned to look at the solitary peak. "You are a genius sire. It might smell a bit of dragon but the women can clean it up. Its safe warm and dry, and full of stores, bedding, clothing, the odd bit of gold."

Bard turned to face Alfrid, his expression hard. "What gold is in that mountain is cursed. We will take only what was promised to us. Only what we need to rebuild our lives." He walked up and handed Alfrid the weapons he had collected before walking off.

Legolas turned as Bard walked past. "News of the death of Smaug will have spread through the lands." He said, his blue eyes sharp and alert.

"Aye." Bard said.

Legolas walked up to him. "Others will now look to the mountain. For its wealth, for its position."

"What is it you know?" Bard asked turning to face the blond elf.

Legolas looked to the mountain and hoped Amara was safe. "Nothing for certain. It's what I fear will come." He said thinking back to the warg pack he and Amara had seen the night before.

"You saw something out there with Amara?" Tauriel asked as she and Legolas walked.

"The orc we pursued out of Lake Town; I know who he is." Legolas told her. "Bolg, spawn of Azog the defiler. A warg pack was waiting for him on the outskirts of Esgaroth, they fled into the north. These orcs were different from the others, they bore a mark I had not seen for a long time." He stopped walking. "The mark of Gundabad." He said.

Tauriel turned to face him. "Gundabad?" She asked.

"An orc strong hold not far from the misty mountains." He said.

"Hîr nín, Legolas. (My lord Legolas.)" Someone said from behind. Legolas turned to face another elf. "Celin 'winiath o adar lín. If hir elrond's -iel na- safe, cân i hi danwenidh na le. (I bring word from your father. If Lord Elrond's daughter is safe, you are to return to him immediately.)"

Legolas mind turned to what Amara had told him. "Tell my father no one is safe. Tauriel will return with you." He said.

"My lord, Tauriel is banished."

"Banished?" Legolas asked.

The other elf nodded before leaving.

"Legolas it was your king's command." Tauriel muttered.

"He may be my king but he does not always do what is needed." He turned and began to walk walked to his horse. "I ride north. Will you come with me?" He asked.

"To where?" She asked.

"Gundabad."