The Halls of Erebor

"We all need to leave." Bilbo repeated.

"But we only just got here." Bofur said in confusion.

"I've tried talking to him but he won't listen." Bilbo said still trying to catch his breath.

"What do you mean?" Amara asked, an edge of panic creeping into her voice.

"Thorin!" Bilbo said loudly before composing himself. "Thorin." He checked behind him. "Thorin. He has been down there for days. He doesn't sleep, he barely eats, h-he's not been himself." Bilbo paused to catch his breath. "Not at all. It's this place. I think a sickness lies on him." Bilbo concluded.

"Sickness?" Kili asked. "What kind of sickness?"

Fili moved to look upon the massive halls, before he started to run down some more stairs.

The others exchanged glances as Bilbo ran after him. "Fili. FILI!"

The others began to follow the little hobbit down. Kili was still limping slightly as they ran further down into the mountain.

They finally came to a landing just above the masses of gold and jewels that lay on the floor of the mountain's halls. The six of them gazed out at the masses of jewels and gold that seemed to stretch into forever. Bilbo looked upon the gold with worry. As they stood gazing, Thorin walked out of a stone door and into the masses of treasure.

"Gold." He muttered. The sudden noise drew the attention of the six companions. "Gold beyond measure." Thorin continued as the others shared a worried look. Bilbo stood watching he looked scared and saddened. "Beyond sorrow and grief." Thorin looked up to find the remainder of his company stood watching him.

"Behold." Thorin addressed them. "The great treasure hoard of Thror." Fili looked on worried as Thorin threw him a large ruby, which he caught with ease. "Welcome, my sister's sons to the kingdom of Erebor." Thorin said with a smile as he spread his arms wide.

After their run in with Thorin, the five new arrivals went to locate the other dwarves. They found Dwalin and Balin in an old dining hall. Laid in the middle was an old dusty table.

"Balin!" Bofur said with his arms wide as they entered. The older dwarf turned to look at them. Before the other dwarves appeared and began to embrace the new comers. Amara watched on with a small smile as they addressed each other.

"Welcome back lassie." Balin said.

Amara tried to smile. "Where are the others?"

"Around, Thorin has most of them looking for the Arkenstone." Balin told her.

"We have a problem. Legolas and I followed Bolg out of Lake Town. He met with a warg pack but Azog was not with them and I fear where he might have been. I think an army is about to march on the mountain and we need to prepare for them if they do."

Balin looked at her with worry. "I fear Thorin will not listen. All he cares about if finding the Arkenstone and if you did not see this army, he will not believe you. But let me talk to him."

"Thank you." Amara said.

As the others went looking for Thorin or the Arkenstone Amara quietly slipped away to explore the vast halls of Erebor. Wading through the mass of treasure looking for something was not on her to do list.

The vast halls seemed to never end, each one flowing with wealth most would only dream of. She continued walking until she came across a pile sparkling white gems.

"There are gems in the mountain that I too desire. White gems of pure starlight." Thranduil's words ran through her head as she looked upon the glittering jewels. She knew the origin of those particular gems. She had overheard a screaming match between Thranduil and her father once when they had been visiting the woodland realm. The white gems of Lasgalen had belonged to Thranduil's wife, a wedding gift from her father. When relations were still good, Thranduil had entrusted them to Thror for safe keeping. But the dwarves had demanded more than Thranduil could pay so they had been doomed to lie in these halls.

"You can take them." A voice said from behind her and she spun round to find Thorin. "As your share of the treasure. I would rather have them in your possession than the tyrant elf kings." He said.

"Thank you." She said as she bowed her head.

Thorin returned the gesture.

"Have you spoken to Balin?"

"That orc filth cannot touch us here. We have no need to fear them any longer." Thorin did not give her chance to argue as he walked out.

She sighed as she gently picked up the beautiful gems and admired them. She glanced around and spotted an empty chest. Carefully, she moved all of the gems into it. She then placed it near the stair way where she knew she could find it again before she carried on exploring. As she journeyed deeper and deeper, the feeling the halls emitted turned darker and darker.