A Shadow in the Dark

"Such is the nature of evil. Out there in the vast ignorance of the world it festers and spreads. A shadow that grows in the dark. A sleepless malice as black as the oncoming wall of night. So it ever was. So will it always be. In time all foul things come forth." Thranduil said as he paced around the throne room.

Legolas stood in the middle with his knife at the throat of the surviving orc. Tauriel stood at the side watching.

"You were tracking a company of thirteen dwarves and an elf. Why?" Legolas asked.

"Not thirteen, not anymore." The orc snarled looking at Tauriel. "The young one, the blackhead archer, we stuck him with a Morgul shaft. The poisons in his blood, he'll be choking on it soon." The orc said.

Tauriel looked struck by the news. Legolas however, only cared about Amara.

"Answer the question, filth." She spat.

"I do not answer to dogs, She-Elf!" The orc said in its tongue.

Tauriel unsheathed her sword.

"I would not antagonize her." Legolas warned.

"You like killing things, Orc? You like death? Then let me give it to you!" She said as she went to strike the orc.

However, Thranduil stopped her. "Farn! Tauriel, ego! Gwao hi! (Enough! Tauriel leave! Go now!)" Thranduil said.

She reluctantly got up and walked out.

"I do not care about one dead dwarf. Answer the question, you have nothing to fear. Tell us what you know and I will set you free." Thranduil said.

"You had orders to kill them, why? What is Thorin Oakenshield to you?" Legolas asked.

"The Dwarf runt will never be King! And not to kill all of them."

"King? There is no King under the mountain, nor will there ever be. None would dare to enter Erebor whilst the dragon lives." Legolas said before he registered what the orc had said, as did Thranduil.

"You know nothing. You're world will burn." The orc snarled.

"What are you talking about? What do you mean not all of them? Speak!" Legolas snarled.

"Your time has come again. My master serves the one. Do you understand now, Elfling? Do you understand why he wants the she-elf? Death is upon you. The flames of war are upon you." As the orc started to laugh Thranduil unsheathed his sword and with a flick of his wrist decapitated the orc.

"Why did you do that? You promised to set him free." Legolas asked his father; his mind was on what the orc had said about Amara.

"And I did. I freed his wretched head from his miserable shoulders." Thranduil told him as he used his foot to stop the orc's body twitching.

"There was more the Orc could tell us." Legolas said.

"There was nothing more he could tell me. Where is Amara?" Thranduil asked what the orc had said had worried him. He turned to walk away.

"She went with the dwarves. I couldn't stop her." Legolas told his father. Thranduil stopped in his tracks. "What did he mean by the flames of war? And what does he want with her?" Legolas then asked.

"It means they intend to unleash a weapon so great it will destroy all before it. Find her and keep her safe. Amara shares her father's gift of foresight. Something that is indispensable to our enemy. Elrond rarely leaves Rivendell these days, so Amara is the perfect target." Thranduil said as he resumed walking off. "I want the watch doubled at our borders, all roads, all rivers. Nothing moves but I hear of, no one enters this kingdom and no one leaves it after you. Unless you find her, the gears of a great war will be set in motion." Thranduil paused to look at Legolas before he turned and walked away.

Legolas stood there a moment thinking of his father's warning before he walked to the armoury to gather some more arrows.

Legolas walked to the front gates. He looked to a guard named Elros.

"Holo in ennyn after nin! Tiro i defnin hain na ganed en-Aran until im rinn-! (Close the gate after me! Keep it sealed by order of the King until I return.)" Legolas called as he walked out.

"Man os Tauriel? (What about Tauriel)" Elros asked.

"Man os sen? (What about her)" Legolas asked turning back to Elros.

"Edevín eb enedhor na gû a megil. En ú-nandollen. (She went into the forest armed with her bow and blade. She has not returned.)" Elros told him.