Lake Town

The dwarves, Bilbo and Amara had boarded the barge after promise of payment to the man who had introduced himself as Bard.

"You are not a Mirkwood elf." Bard said to Amara.

"No. I am from the valley of Imladris, realm of my father, Lord Elrond." She told him.

"Watch out!" Bofur called as some large ruins appeared out of the fog.

But Bard did not need warning as he steered smoothly past them.

"What are you trying to do? Drown us?" Thorin asked.

"I was born and bred on these waters, Master Dwarf. If I wanted to drown you, I would not do it here." Bard told him.

"Oh, I've had enough of this lippy lake-man. I say we throw him over the side and be done with him." Dwalin muttered.

"Oh, Bard. He's name's Bard." Bilbo said.

"How do you know?" Dwalin asked.

"Uh...I asked him." Bilbo said.

"I don't care what he calls himself, I don't like him." Dwalin muttered.

"We do not have to like him; we simply have to pay him." Balin reminded his brother as he counted their money.

"Come on, now, lads. Turn out your pockets." Balin told them.

The dwarves reluctantly began to search through their pockets.

"How do we know he won't betray us?" Dwalin asked Thorin.

"We don't." Thorin told him as Balin finished counting their coins.

"There's um...just a wee problem. We're ten coins short." Balin said.

"Gloin, come on. Give us what you have." Thorin said crossing his arms.

"Don't look to me. I have been bled dry by this venture! What have I seen for my investment? Naught but misery and grief and..." Gloin stopped as the rest of the company got up. He also got up and looked at the outline of the lonely mountain through the mist. "Bless my beard." Gloin said as he took out a sack of coins. "Take it. Take all of it." He said handing Balin the sack.

Bilbo cleared his throat to warn them that Bard was walking over.

"The money, quick. Give it to me." Bard said.

"We will pay you when we get our provisions, but not before." Thorin said.

"If you value your freedom, you'll do as I say. There are guards ahead." Bard told them.

The company all looked forward to the nearby port.

Amara quickly ushered the dwarves into the barrels once again. There were only thirteen barrels so Bard turned to look at her. She merely smiled before pulling up her hood and vanishing. Bard looked slightly shocked but composed himself and pulled ashore.

"Ssh. What's he doing?" Dwalin asked from inside his barrel.

"He's talking to someone." Bilbo said looking through a hole in his barrel. "He's pointing right at us. Now they're shaking hands." Bilbo hissed.

"What?" Thorin asked.

"He's selling us out." Dwalin snarled.

They heard footsteps approaching and the sound of pulleys. Amara could not contain her smile as the Dwarves had fish dumped on their heads.

"Quiet!" Bard said kicking one of the barrels to stop the dwarves moaning. "We're approaching the toll gate."

Lake Town was, quite literally, built on the surface of the lake. The houses were suspended on stilts above the water. Wooden paths ran in-between the houses as well as waterways for small boats. There was also a main stream that ran through the centre of town, large enough for large boats such as the barge.