Weapon Difficulties

Bain ran down the back steps to the outhouse to get the dwarves. He made sure that no one was watching before he knocked on the wooden wall of the toilet four times. Dwalin's head poked out of the top; he did not look happy.

"If you speak of this to anyone, I'll rip your arms off." Dwalin threatened as he lifted the toilet seat up. Bain walked forward to offer his hand but Dwalin smacked it aside. "Get off." Dwalin muttered as he clambered out of the toilet.

"Up there." Bain said, pointing to the house.

Dwalin walked past him and up the stairs. Next out of the toilet was a scared looking Bilbo who took Bain's offered hand. Sigrid watched from the top of the stairs as the dwarves began to walk in.

"Da, why are there dwarves coming out of our toilet?" Sigrid asked.

"Will they bring us luck?" Tilda asked as Amara moved to stand next to her.

After they had all managed to get out of the toilet, they sat round the fire drying off as Bard handed them dry clothes.

"They may not be the best fit, but they'll keep you warm." Bard said.

"Oh, thank you." Bilbo said as Tilda offered him some clothes.

Sigrid walked over to Amara and offered her a coat.

"No, thank you, I am fine." Amara smiled.

Thorin had made his way over to the window and was looking around with interest. "The Dwarfish Wind-Lance." Thorin murmured.

"You look like you've seen a ghost." Bilbo said walking up behind Thorin with Balin.

"He has. The last time we saw such a weapon the city was on fire. It was a day the dragon came. The day that Smaug destroyed Dale." Balin said gravely, remembering the way the fire had spread through the city. "Girion, the lord of the city, rallied his bowmen to fire upon the beast. But a dragon's hide is tough, tougher than the strongest armour. Only a Black Arrow fired from a wind-lance could have pierced the dragon's hide. And few of those arrows were ever made. The store was running low when Girion made his last stand." Balin said solemnly.

"If the aim of men had been true that day, much would've been different." Thorin said shaking his head.

"You speak as if you were there." Bard said walking over to the dwarves.

"All Dwarves know the tale." Thorin said quickly.

"Then you would know that Girion hit the dragon. He loosened his scale under the left wing, one more shot and he would've killed the beast." Bain said excitedly.

"That's a fairy story, lad. Nothing more." Dwalin said with a chuckle.

"You took our money. Where are the weapons?" Thorin said walking up to Bard.

"Wait here." Bard said before turning and walking down the stairs again. He looked around before stepping into a small long boat. He looked around again before quickly untying a rope and pulling a long bag from in the water. He slung it over his shoulder and walked back upstairs.

"Tomorrow begins the last days of autumn." Thorin said. He, Balin, Kili, Fili and Amara were stood in a circle away from everyone else, talking quietly.

"Durin's Day falls the morning after next. We must reach the mountain before then." Balin said.

"And if we do not? If we fail to find the hidden door before that time?" Kili asked.

"Then this quest has been for nothing." Amara told him.

At that moment Bard walked back in with a bag over his shoulder. He put it on the table and began to unroll the material. Inside there were various handmade weapons.