Orc Trouble

The next morning all the dwarves and Bilbo were dressed in fine, new clothes and all had new weapons made of iron, except Bilbo, who still had the sword he had found in the troll tunnel which he had named sting. They were walking towards the boats, ready to leave, when Bilbo noticed Bofur was missing.

"You do know we're one short? Where's Bofur?" Bilbo asked Thorin as he looked around.

"If he's not here, we leave him behind." Thorin said to them.

"We'll have to, if we're to find the door before nightfall. We can risk no more delays." Balin mumbled as they walked towards the barge that the town were going to let them use.

One by one all the dwarves began to board the barge. Kili went to step aboard when Thorin put his arm out and stopped him.

"Not you. We must travel at speed, you will slow us down." Thorin said.

Amara listened to where the conversation was going.

"What are you talking about? I'm coming with you." Kili said. He didn't look well; he was pale and was having trouble standing.

"No, no." Thorin said eyeing his nephew.

"I'm going to be there when that door's opened. When we first look upon the halls of our fathers, Thorin..." Kili started before Thorin cut him off.

"Kili, stay here. Rest. Join us when you're healed." Thorin said.

Kili looked devastated. Amara stepped off the barge and went to stand by him.

"If he stays, I stay." Amara said to Thorin.

"Amara..." Thorin started.

"No, this is my choice. If Kili stays, I stay." And with that she pulled him over to one side of the dock.

"I'll stay with the lad. My duty lies with the wounded." Oin said as he got off the barge and went to join Amara and Kili.

"Uncle, we grew up on tales of the mountain. Tales you told us. You cannot take that away from him!" Fili protested.

"Fili..." Thorin started before getting cut off again.

"I will carry him if I must!" Fili said.

"One day you will be King and you will understand. I cannot risk the fate of this quest for the sake of one dwarf. Not even my own kin." Thorin said.

Fili looked over to Amara, Kili and Oin and then got off the barge.

Thorin grabbed his arm to try and stop him. "Fili, don't be a fool. You belong with the company." Thorin said.

"I belong with my brother." Fili said pulling his arm out of Thorin's grasp and walking over to the others.

As the master began to address the town, there was still no sign of Bofur. The barge started to move off and away towards the mountain. The crowds cheered and Kili looked belligerent as he watched them go. Bofur, who had woken up passed out under a table, ran through the crowds only to find the boats already gone. He spotted Amara, Kili, Fili and Oin and his face lit up.

"Did you miss the boat as well?" Bofur asked.

Fili was about to reply when Kili fell sideways into Amara, close to passing out.

"Kili? Kili!" She said kneeling in front of him as the others supported him.

"We have to get find somewhere we can lay him down." She said looking at Fili.

He nodded and then him and Bofur got Kili up, they then began to walk to the master's house.

The master and Alfrid walked back to the house surrounded by armed guards who pushed anyone out of the way if they got to close.