The Eagles

The eagles soared through the air effortlessly. If it hadn't been for the fact that there was a hole in her side and Thorin might be dead, Amara might have found the experience more enjoyable.

"Thorin!" Fili yelled from the back of the eagle as his uncle's body hung limp in the other eagle's talons.

Amara sat up straighter on the eagle to get an idea as to they were headed. Her gaze landed on the Carrock: a massive rock structure in the shape of a bear. She knew the eagles would take them no further. The first eagle gently set Thorin and his sword on the flat area at the top of the Carrock. Gandalf was the next to be dropped off and he ran to Thorin's side. The eagles then deposited the rest of the company. As Amara, Fili and Kili were placed down the two bothers ran to their uncle's side. Amara stumbled as she put her full weight on her hip but quickly righted herself and made her way over to the others.

"Thorin! Thorin." Gandalf was leaning over him.

Thorin was not responding. Gandalf placed his hand over Thorin's face and began to whisper a healing spell. Amara watched as Bilbo walked up to her side, Thorin's eyes fluttered open and he gasped for air.

"The Halfling?" Thorin whispered weakly.

"It's alright. Bilbo is here. He's quiet safe." Gandalf assured him.

By this point everyone had landed on the Carrock and surrounded Thorin. Amara watched as Dwalin and Kili helped Thorin to his feet. However, once he was on his feet he shook them both of and started to approach Bilbo.

"You! What were you doing? You nearly got yourself killed! Did I not say that you would be a burden? That you would not survive in the wild and that you had no place amongst us?" Thorin said as he advanced until he was face to face with a frightened, worried looking Bilbo. "I have never been so wrong in all my life!" Thorin said before pulling the bewildered hobbit into an embrace. Bilbo looked quite surprised but hugged Thorin back as the other dwarves cheered, and Gandalf and Amara smiled.

"I am sorry I doubted you." Thorin said pulling away.

"No, I would have doubted me too. I'm not a hero or a warrior...not even a burglar." Bilbo said as they all watched the eagles fly back the way they had come. "Is that, what I think it is?" Bilbo asked turning away from the eagles to look at a single solitary mountain in the distance.

"Erebor - The Lonely Mountain." Amara said gazing at it in awe.

"The last of the great dwarf kingdoms of Middle-earth." Gandalf concluded for the company.

"Our home." Thorin muttered staring at the mountain longingly.

"A raven! The birds are returning to the mountain." Oin said as a bird chirped and flew past.

"That, my dear Oin, is a thrush." Gandalf informed them as the company watched at the graceful bird fly towards the mountain.

"But we'll take it as a sign - a good omen." Thorin said.

"You're right. I do believe the worst is behindus." Bilbo said with a smile.