Reasoning

Thorin walked briskly towards the bricked-up wall the company had built overnight. The other dwarves were working on various things like sharpening their weapons. Amara stood atop the gate watching as a single rider rode from the ruined city of Dale.

"Come on." Thorin said as he continued towards the gate.

All the dwarves stopped what they were doing and began to follow him. They ran up the stairs to where Amara was stood.

Along with the lone rider she recognised as Bard, there were masses of elves. Elves gleaming in their golden battle armour. Elves she recognised to be from the woodland realm. This took her thoughts to Legolas. Gundabad was a long ride and she could only hope he was safe. They all watched as Bard rode up to the gate.

"Hail Thorin, son of Thrain." Bard called as he stopped his horse just before the bridge that led to the now bricked up gate. "We are glad to find you alive beyond hope."

"Why do you come to the gates of the king under the mountain armed for war?" Thorin asked with a hard face.

"Why does the king under the mountain fence himself in like a robber in his hole?" Bard's expression was grim as he glanced back to the elven army.

"Perhaps it is because I am expecting to be robbed." Thorin said with a sharp glare.

"My Lord, we have not come to rob you, but to seek fair settlement." Bard said. "Will you not speak with me?"

Thorin nodded and walked back down the steps to the entrance hall. Bard dismounted his horse and strode over the bridge to the wall. A crow flew out of the hall as he did so; a large dusky black bird cawing as it flew away. Bard walked to where a small hole in the otherwise solid wall had been left.

"I am listening." Thorin said from the other side of the gap.

"On behalf of the people of Lake Town, I ask that you honour your pledge. A share of the treasure so that they might rebuild their lives." Bard said. While the others could not hear what was being said, Amara listened closely, her elf ears picking up every word.

"I will not treat with any man while an armed host lies before my door." Thorin said.

"That armed host will attack this mountain if we do not come to terms." Bard said with a stony expression.

"Your threats do not sway me." Thorin said in a steady voice.

Bard shook his head slightly. "What of your conscious? Does it not tell you our cause is just?" Bard leaned forward resting an arm on the opening. "My people offered you help and in return you brought upon them only ruin and death."

"When did the men of Lake Town come to our aid but to the promise of rich reward." Thorin's voice rose slightly.

"A bargain was stuck!" Bard said, anger slipping into his voice.

"A bargain! What choice did we have but to barter our birth right for blankets and food? To ransom our future in exchange for our freedom. You call that a fair trade?" Thorin said, anger now evident in his voice. He looked Bard straight in the eye; his expression cold. "Tell me Bard the dragon slayer, why should I honour such terms?"

"Because you gave us your word." Bard empathised. "Does that mean nothing?"

Thorin disappeared from Bard's view and stood with his back to the make shift wall. He looked at the company who were stood in a row listening with hard looks on their faces.

"Be gone! Hear the arrows fly!" Thorin screamed.

Bard punched the wall in anger before walking back to his horse. Bilbo looked at Amara as she took a deep breath. Bard rode back to the fallen city as they stood and watched. Amara needed to figure out where her loyalties lied. With the dwarves whom she had come to love, or with her own kin who wished to destroy them.

"What are you doing?" Bilbo asked. Everyone turned to look at him. "You cannot go to war."

"This does not concern you." Thorin muttered.

"Excuse me! In case you haven't noticed there is an army of elves out there. Not to mention seven hundred angry fishermen. We are in fact out numbered." Bilbo said.

Amara watched Thorin closely.

"Not for much longer." Thorin said with a small smile.

"What does that mean?" Bilbo asked.

Amara realised that the crow must have been carrying a message to Thorin's kin.

"It means Master Baggins; you should never underestimate dwarves." Thorin said as he began to walk down the steps once more. "We have reclaimed Erebor now, we defend it."