14 - Reconnection

✧Previously on Chapter Thirteen✧

The sun was finally shining, not a gray or dark cloud in sight. It had been a few months since Malum had entered Colchester, and ever since her reappearance, the town had been off. Everything always seemed dark and mystical. There was always harsh winds and storm clouds. There was always an aurora of darkness lingering around and black fog that liked to float through the sky, but ever since her death and the complete disappearance of magic, everything went back to normal. The sun was burning bright in the sky. There was no cloud in sight. The birds were even chirping loudly, and there were children back to playing outside.

The light was back.

It was finally winter after having a crazy couple of months with the summer and fall. Since Malum's appearance, everything had been so chaotic. The weather was always jumping from bright and sunny to cloudy and rainy within a matter of seconds. Most of the time, the rain never left, and it was just harsh thunderstorms that took up nearly every day, but now that Malum's soul was finally gone, winter could happen.

There was a crisp breeze though that always flew through town and nipped at anyone's noses. It was cold enough to chill the bones but not even to leave any frostbitten fingers or toes, but enough to flush the skins a rosy pink. It was nice, but different. The lack of snow could have to do with Malum. Since her magic had disrupted the balance of nature, she most likely disrupted its weather patterns as well. Colchester always snowed in the winter, but it seemed like even the environment was still trying to recover from her shenanigans. Some days were hot and some days were cool. It seemed like the weather didn't know if it was supposed to be summer or fall. It was like everything was still disoriented, but now after everything had time to heal, the winter was slowly coming back. A little later than normal, but when the first snowflake fell from the sky, that was how Louis knew Malum had completely disappeared from this earth.

There were no more traces of her soul and no more lingering things that disrupted the balance of nature. The snow was falling in Colchester again, and no witches had to be thought of anymore.

Louis had been walking through the woods when he felt the first flake fall on his nose. It made him stop for a second to look up at the sky with a smile. It was reassuring to know that even the weather wasn't with Malum, and nature could go back to how it was. After Louis' little reflection period, he continued to walk down the path until he was approaching town. He set on heading to Stan's house, the new one he had gotten after he graduated from Uni. It wasn't too far from his childhood home, but it was a little closer to the woods now. Louis smiled at the thought as he walked up the driveway, seeing Stan was in his garage messing with all the knives that he had used on Malum.

"Hey," Louis called out, leaning up against the garage door and crossing his arms over his chest, offering Stan a smile when the lad turned to look his way. "I wanted to say thank you, for everything. I'm not sure how you knew what to do, but you saved my family and my species."

Stan shrugged his shoulder, going for casual as he set the knives on his work table. "It wasn't hard for me to see the magic around town and to hear your plea for help," he admitted with a smile, walking over to join Louis by the garage door. "I did my research, I talked to my dad, and I made sure I knew more about Malum."

Louis shook his head. "I'm still surprised the Lucas family was also witch hunters."

"Well, hunting supernatural being just runs in our system. All this equipment we have has been passed down through generations, and apparently, we still have Lucas family members still making more weapons."