chapter seven

r e c o r d  s h o p

L U K E

The day after Luke got to kiss the girl of his dreams, the shop would only be open from noon until ten. It was the usual schedule before Luke would have a few days off. He hoped that she would still be able to come and see him, and he tried not to worry about not being able to see her on his mini vacation.

Yesterday, she had gotten a Glass Animals record. Luke had never really listened to them before, but he knew one or two of their songs. She told him that maybe they should hangout and listen to them.

"You know, so you can hear how good they are," she told him, but it was more of an excuse to see him again more than anything else.

Luke couldn't help his mind from thinking about the day before. How nice it had felt to kiss her, but he still had an underlying worry-or several. He knew he had to know more about the girl, and he had to know her for longer than just seven days, too. He had to know what was going on with her life before he could move their relationship any further.

Nevertheless, the kiss the two had shared consumed his thoughts way more than his worries. Luke smiled at the thought of him kissing her. The one thing he'd wanted to do since the day he met her. Maybe soon he could call her his.

It was nine thirty when the bell on the door rang, and Hummingbird came in.

Luke had smiled widely, going to hug, maybe even kiss, the girl when he noticed something new. He stopped in his tracks.

Bruises were scattered on her neck in the shape of hands.

"What the hell happened to you?"

"Wait, you don't have to answer that, it's pretty obvious. Who did this to you?" He reached his hand up to brush her hair out of the way, inspecting her neck more closely.

"Luke," she sniffled, before launching herself into his embrace.

"I missed you," she said.

"I-I missed you too, baby. Can you please tell me what happened now?" He pulled away slightly, so that he was able to look into her watering eyes.

"Well, someone got mad and-" she started to cry before she could finish her sentence.

"I had to sneak out to come see you. My phone died so I couldn't text you and-I'm sorry I came so late. I know you're closing soon."

Ten minutes, he thought, but he wouldn't say it out loud. He practically owned the shop. If she wanted to stay later, then she could.

"Hey, hey. Don't worry. Remember what I told you? I'm here for you. Always." His arms tightened around her waist.

"I didn't know what to do. I can't stay out too long. I can't really go home either, but I have to. I'm sorry I didn't really get to see you today."

"Stop apologizing, love. It'll be okay. You can stay with me tonight? If you want. Since you said you can't go home."

"Is that okay?"

"Of course. I'm here for you." Always.

"Thank you, record boy."

"Always, Hummingbird. Come on. Are you hungry?"

He took care of her that night. He didn't ask who it was. He knew she wouldn't be ready to talk about it, but he wondered if she couldn't go home because of them.

That was the first day that she didn't buy a record at the record shop.

hello everyone! i hope you all had a very merry christmas!

i enjoyed writing this chapter because luke being so worried about hummingbird is super cute.

anyway, if you have a guess about what happened to her, put your thoughts here.

if anyone even reads these hahah.

so i got a record player for christmas and a couple records and i'm sooo excited. i've been listening to them all day.

plus it's also a bluetooth one, so i can play basically whatever i want if i connect my phone.

what did you guys get for christmas? (if you celebrate that way)

alright this note is getting a bit long for my liking haha.

thank you for reading!

-a <3