chapter twenty

r e c o r d s h o p

H U M M I N G B I R D

Sucking in a breath, she slowly shook her head.

"Yeah, me maybe, not we."

"What?" Looking up at his face, she could tell that he was baffled.

"I don't want you to get tangled up in my mess. I'll just go myself to get my things. I'll be alright."

With an angry look making its way onto his face, he spoke again in a tone slightly higher than usual, "no way! The last time you went there you came to me sobbing because of what happened to you! And I never want to see you like that again!"

She understood his point of view, she really did, but this man had already helped her so much, and she didn't want him to get hurt. She was okay with herself getting a little beat up, because she was used to it, but Luke had never had to go through that. She doesn't want the first time he gets hit like that to be anytime soon. She doesn't want it to ever happen to him.

She shook her head; trying to get out of it, maybe. She wished her life wasn't like this, but she knew she couldn't let herself think about it anymore. Tuck it away in the coat closet, lock it in a box, but just don't think about it too much.

"I'm sorry, record boy, I just don't want you to get hurt. You've helped me so much and I don't want anything to happen to you..." and I'm scared you'll leave me, she thinks, but she'll never tell him that.

"I can handle myself just fine, Hummingbird. It's you I'm worried about. Just let me come, I'll help you, and nothing will happen to either of us. I won't let it. Okay?"

She bit her lip, and an "okay," was all she could get out, but she knew that her record boy was the best thing that's ever happened to her.

Arriving at the house that Hummingbird had most recently been taking residence in before meeting him, she couldn't help but notice the surprised look on his face. Maybe it was due to the fact that the house didn't look particularly bad. It didn't look like it was in the best shape, maybe average, but she knew that Luke was probably expecting something less.

Neither of them had been ready to walk up the driveway, but they both knew they had to, especially since they made the whole entire out-of-the-way journey there. Plus, she knew it wouldn't exactly be fair to Luke if she just turned around now. It's a little late for that.

Luke seemed to notice her apprehension, taking both of her hands and pulling her so that she was facing him, although she turned her head down so that she wouldn't have to look at him and be embarrassed by her eyes, which were welling up with tears.

"Hey, look at me," he spoke softly, using his fingers to lift her chin up so her eyes could meet his.

Well, there goes that plan, she thinks.

"I'm here. I've got you. Okay?"

"Okay," she whispers, "come on."

Taking in a deep breath, she held the hand of the boy she possibly loved, walking to the house filled with people who she wished loved her.

first chapter in hummingbird's pov!!

hope you guys liked it. i tried to make it a bit emotional but also interesting. i don't want this story to get boring!

im sorry that it's been so long. life has been very hectic, to say the least.

i slept for 30 minutes last night, today was really hard as i got some kind of bad, mostly just upsetting and unnerving news. and today is also the 3 year anniversary of my friends passing. im honestly not in the best place mentally right now.

but i wanted to come and update for you guys since it's been so long. im sooo sorry.

anyway, on a happier note, the question of the chapter is:

do you believe in soulmates? why or why not?

personally, i really don't know how i feel about that so im hoping to learn more with you guys' answers.

that's all i have to say.

thank you so much for reading!

love you all!

-a <3