chapter twenty eight

r e c o r d s h o p

L U K E

After talking about the situation a few days later, the both of them decided to just go and get Hummingbird's stuff as quickly as possible.

So, here they were, standing in front of Hummingbird's childhood home, ready to get her stuff this time. After the third time trying, they hoped that they'd succeed.

No one was home, it seemed, but they didn't want to make the same mistake as last time, so they still hurried. They walked quickly, and Hummingbird used the key that was hidden under the door mat to unlock the front door.

Luke didn't really know what he was expecting. Maybe he was expecting it to be run-down and dirty. Maybe he was expecting it to be spotlessly cleaned and in pristine condition. It was neither. It was a very simple, regular home. Not too clean, not too messy.

They made their way to Hummingbird's room silently, although she was holding onto his hand so tightly he thought it might break. He didn't mind. He just wanted her to feel safe. He wanted to comfort her and be there for her in a time that was very hard for her. It didn't help his case that he still feels bad for the one-sided screaming match that happened in his home the other day.

She didn't speak when they went to open the door, but she hesitated for a split second. Then, she opened the door and walked in as Luke walked slowly behind her.

He wasn't expecting a lot, and for once, he got what he was expecting. Her room was slightly smaller, with minimal things inside. What he did find interesting though, were the different types of birds lining the walls. They were everywhere, and it looked so beautiful. All painted in just a solid black, but you could still see the differences in the brush strokes. You could still notice a small difference between birds as if it were pointed out right away, or had a bright red arrow pointing to it.

Some of the birds were a bit messier than others, and it was easy to tell that a child did them. They were closer to the ground and the lines were shaky, but they were still beautiful in their own way.

"Woah," Luke breathed, and he traced his fingers along the wall as he walked.

"I know right?" She spoke softly, like a noise any louder would break her. Maybe it would've. "My mother and I painted those when I was really young. I remember she taught me so much about all of the birds," she paused for a moment and a smile appeared on her face, "I remember her telling me about one bird in particular while we painted. She loved it so much, said it always made her happy. She loved to watch them, and she used to drag me along," she quietly laughed. "Of course I wanted to, but I still never really understood her fascination for birds. I guess as I got older though...I understand now, I think."

Luke smiled at her while she spoke, and he loved the soft, warm look that was in her eyes as she spoke of her mother. Luke found himself realizing that she had never spoken of her before, so where was she now? His thoughts were interrupted when she spoke again.

"I thought it was oddly wonderful when I walked into the record shop and you started to call me the name of both of our favorite birds."

hello everyone!

sadly, this book is coming to an end :(

it's been a crazy, wonderful journey writing this, and im going to miss it so much.

thank you all for reading, voting, commenting, everything. just thank you so much.

i love you all!

oh, i can't forget! the question of the chapter is:

what is your greatest wish for yourself?

again, thank you for reading. i love you all.

-a <3