Chapter 11: Plans & wishes & plans

The next day, 6:50 a.m.

Catherine

We went down to the lobby where Carter was already waiting. When he caught a glimpse of us,
he cleared his throat and raised his chin. He was nervous.

❞Good morning. Can we go to your room? I think we will need privacy.❞ He rushed his words and I agreed.

Me and Tasha sat down on the bed while he was standing, nervous to tell us what exactly happened the other day.

❞Wait, I just want to know,❞ Tasha spoke, ❞Why Leo? Do you have a fetish for Leonardo Dicaprio, or?❞

❞Tasha.❞ I gave her a look and she shrugged her shoulders.

I looked at Carter who was just taking a deep breath, before telling me everything.

❞Before I start, I want you to know that I didn't want this. I didn't want to leave New York and I didn't want to disappear without telling you, but I needed to. My life was in danger. Well... It might still be.❞ He explained.
❞James called me on a friday night...❞

Flashback

Carter

After a very long day, I was finally able to sit down, put my tired legs up on the couch and open a brand new bottle of rum. I spinned the cork and was right about to pour the strong, alcoholic drink into the glass in front of me, but my phone beeped. Something told me not to look at the screen to see who just messaged me, since I just got home and deserved some time to myself, but I looked.

Catherine E. Richmond
I really hope I'm not disturbing you on your friday night Carter, but could you please come to Harry's house to discuss something with us? We really need your opinion and we can not get along. I would appreciate it. Thank you.

I didn't hestitate about the decision, I put the cork back on the bottle, got my coat and drove straight to Harry's house. I was there when Catherine needed me, always. She was one of the kindest and most lovely persons I knew, and I didn't know many. We were some kind of best friends, even though I was her lawyer. I didn't plan my friday night to turn out like this, but my bottle of tasty rum would always wait for me.

I knocked on the door and it didn't take long until James opened it.

❞Good evening, Carter. Welcome in.❞ He said politely as he opened the door.

I didn't like James, I never did. Since I was a teenager, I always saw him as a cliché. He was the golden boy every girl drooled for, every girl wanted to sleep with and every girl dreamed about. I never understood why. Sure, he looked good, but he was an ass. He never did the homework, he was lazy, he just showed up when he had  football practice,
he began to drink at a young age and he treated people like dirt.

I was one of those people. I was just some months younger than him, so unfortunately we were in the same class. I was the kid that often had good grades, dressed politely and never started a fight. But just because I didn't start a fight, didn't mean that I wouldn't snap back if someone provoked or hit me. I hit James a couple of times, but I was never satisfied because a teacher always showed up. It was worse for James, since he already had bad grades and showed up two times a week. Teachers knew I just defended myself, but sometimes I got detention.