Chapter 12: Lost souls

Lorenzo

I didn't really like this idea, but Donna was begging and calling me every day the past week. So, today was the day.
Even though she begged me and gave so many promises not to hurt our family again, I didn't do this for her.
I was doing this for Marco. He was wondering and asking so many questions about his mother all these years
and every time, I would get a lump in my throat, an ache in my stomach and experience the same pain I felt
when I found the note when Donna left all over again.

Marco deserved to know and meet his mother, it was one of his biggest wishes. After all of Donna's begging,
promises and crying, Marco's questions and wishes, I couldn't decide any different than to give her a chance. I didn't know if it was the christmas spirit that pushed me to make that decision perhaps. It wasn't easy to look at Donna being so sad and miserable either. We were young at the time we got our son, and I hoped Donna really changed and grew as a person. It was worth a try if it would make Marco happy.

I finally heard a knock on the door that stopped all my thinking. I walked up to the door and opened it just to meet Donna's face again. I could see she took this seriously which made me quite happy. Her hair was straight, falling just above her shoulders that were covered by a long-sleeved turtle neck with black, white and brown stripes, tucked into her dark blue jeans. No jewelry or accessories, only a brown bag falling down on her hip.

❞Hi.❞ She greeted me with the widest smile I've ever seen.

❞Hi.❞ I smiled.

She looked so happy. Her bright smile was full of happiness. Maybe this would work out, I thought to myself happily. I looked at her, remembering the last time I saw her smile this bright, when I proposed to her. The memory made me smile, looking at her. She bit her lip while she continued smiling and looked down, blushing.

❞Can I come in?❞

❞Ofcourse.❞ I answered quickly, snapping out of my thoughts, which I needed to do every time I saw her.

She stepped in slowly, looking around the livingroom. Her eyes went up and down the big christmas tree near the fireplace, analyzing the kitchen, then going up to the rooms upstairs.

❞You and Marco sure have it really nice here.❞ She asserted and turned to me.

❞We don't live here, but we do come here a lot, Marco likes New York. He enjoys walks in the morning and taking pictures when we walk past buildings and such.❞ I spoke. ❞Oh, and he likes playing soccer on the football pitch nearby.❞ I added with a smile.

❞That's nice.❞ She smiled, ❞I remember our long walks, late at night.❞ She continued, ❞I miss them.❞

There was the lump in my throat again. I didn't know what to say or do. I couldn't say I didn't miss her, she was my fiancé and is the mother of my child. But now that I see her and everything is real, I could feel the emptiness when she was gone disappear. I felt something, I just didn't know what exactly.

❞I..I-❞ As soon as I wanted to respond, I got interrupted by a voice from upstairs.

❞Dad.❞ Marco said. ❞Do we have guests?❞

I looked up at him, ❞Come here, Marco, I need to introduce you to someone.❞

He slowly walked down the stairs, I could tell he was curious because of my words. I was proud and happy he didn't count each step. He just... Walked down. Without counting. I could tell Donna was a little nervous. She looked at him and gulped.