Chapter 20: One last time

I slowly opened the door to the apartment, my head still spinning from father's punch. Harry wanted to take me to the hospital, but I insisted. I stepped in, almost falling on the floor. Catherine appeared in front of me after hearing the crash.

❞You scared me.❞ She sighed, putting her hand on her chest.

She turned away, facing to the direction of the bedroom to go back to packing. She stopped when she gave me another look, noticing what my face looked like. Her eyes widened in surprise.

She came closer as I started going towards the living room, ❞What happened to you?❞ She asked in a worried voice.

❞I'm okay.❞ I said, throwing myself on thr couch.

Catherine disagreed, ❞No, you're not. You have to get that cleaned up.❞ She pointed at my face, the cut on the side of my head.

She rushed quickly to the bedroom, coming back in a minute with a first aid kit in her hands. She opened it and took out the liquid to clran my wound.

❞What happened, James?❞ She asked concerned.

❞I told my parents about it.❞ She immediately knew what I was talking about. ❞Father wasn't really happy.❞

Her look turned a little sad, but she didn't say anything. It was almost like she wasn't surprised, or she didn't want to show any emotions. I felt the burn while she cleaned my wound, causing me to slightly jump.

❞I know, hold on.❞ Catherine whispered in the softest voice.

I looked into her blue-greenish eyes, admiring them completely. The blue was so light, almost like ice. The light green swirl around her pupil was like a snake swirled around a dark branch. Her curly, blonde lashes opened her eyes that were already big enough, hypnotizing even. She has just gotten more and more beautiful.

❞That's it.❞ Catherine said, finishing her work in just some minutes.

I looked at her, ❞Thank you.❞

She weakly smiled in return, putting the things she used back in the first aid kit. When she turned around, she accidently spilled the cleaning liquid all over her hands and gasped in surprise.

❞Oh no.❞ She sighed annoyingly.

I stood up, walking to the kitchen to grab a cloth. ❞I'll fix it.❞

❞I need to wash my hands.❞ She said to herself, walking to the bathroom.

The bell rang and I went to open the door. It was the mailman.

❞Good day, sir. I have something for...❞ He looked at the envelope. ❞Catherine Richmond.❞

I looked to see after Catherine, but she was still in the bathroom.

❞That's my wife,❞ I said, ❞I can give it to her.❞

He gave me the envelope, ❞Have a good day, sir.❞

❞You too.❞ I replied.

I automatically looked at the envelope and saw the name that appeared very familiar to me. Avery Edwards. It was like a nightmare awakening, the one thing I wanted to forget completely. I was ashamed of what I did.