Chapter 18: Happy wedding day

Catherine

Nathaniel had sent me an e-mail, telling me that a second meeting wouldn't be needed. He said he could start working on my case already, which sounded very good to me and was a big relief.

It was hard being in my own apartment. James spent more time home than ever. He was trying to convince me that he would be different if I let him, if I stay. He said he would change. I couldn't lie and say I didn't care at all, but I couldn't lie and say I was convinced to stay with him neither. It did touch my heart, seeing him this way.

I knew James like no one other. He was sad, but he didn't want to show it. He even smiled, tried to cheer me up when he saw me staring at the wall, not saying anything, looking like the life was just sucked out of me. He did behave different, but he was still James, and my heart was still hurt. My trust was broken, a long time ago. It couldn't just come back when it's been lost for years, because when you break something, it won't ever be the same. It can't.

Besides, I was still terrified of what he did to Avery. Even though he maybe wouldn't do that to me, I couldn't help my fear. I couldn't understand how someone could ever think that doing such a thing is fine. After all these years, Avery was still broken. She didn't like getting close, she didn't like contact, she didn't even like to be touched the smallest bit. She couldn't handle it. The reason was James, my husband.

I wanted to help her so bad. She was still frightened, and I knew that deep down, she wanted justice. I couldn't visit her again, she couldn't even handle the fact that I was James's wife. Instead, I took a blank paper and grabbed a pen, sitting down on my office chair.

Avery,
I know what your opinion of my husband is. I know you don't like to talk about it, but please, observe what I am going to tell you. Never would I dare to say that I know what you feel like or that I'm going through horrible things too, because they are not as bad as what he did to you. I'm working on getting back everything what he once took away from me, and there is one thing I know: Bringing justice will make it better. Please take my following advice, and see it as a friend wanting to help you. My lawyer is Nathaniel King. He is the best lawyer in the country and has solved several cases successfully. I'm going to give you his number and hope you'll take this chance. Remember what it would bring. Your brother would want the best for you too.

I wish you the absolute best,
Catherine R.

I sent the letter on the way home. It was stressful and hard knowing I would have to face James when I come home. He made me think about everything, over and over again, when the only thing I wanted to was stop thinking and doing what I need to do.

The smell of freshly made dinner filled my nostrils, when I saw James in the kitchen, serving the dinner.

❞Hey, welcome home, honey.❞ James smiled at me as soon as he saw me enter the apartment.

I forced a reply, ❞Hi.❞

❞I made dinner.❞ He said proudly, ❞Come eat with me.❞ He sat down at the kitchen table.

❞I'm not hungry.❞

James was still for a moment, observing me with his blue eyes. I kicked off my heels, hung up my coat and walked towards the bedroom.