Chapter Two

Buzzzzzzz

My eyes shoot open to find my alarm clock reading six am. The thick scent of freshly brewed coffee fills my nostrils as I jump out of bed.

I climb down the staircase, where I spot my aunt in the distance, standing in front of two filled coffee cups by the counter.

"Morning" I greet my aunt with a kiss on the cheek, while she stands in her oversized graphic tee and Adidas shorts.

"Good morning" aunt Laura smiles as handing me a cup of coffee. "First day of senior year, huh?"

I sip my coffee and nod "yeah, I remember when I started, feels like yesterday, you know?"

Suddenly her cell begins to buzz. She places her coffee mug down on the counter as picking up her cell from beside it. Aunt Laura moves her hair away from her face as pressing her cell phone to her ear.

"Hi, Angel" she greets.

Angel, my sister who lives all the way in New York with her husband, Sam. Sam is the only reason why I survived as long as I did without Angel. He's practically my big brother. 

"Tell her hi for me" I smile before guzzling down my coffee.

"Jason says hi" Aunt Laura grins, "how was the honeymoon?"

I place my empty coffee cup onto the counter before climbing back up to the staircase. Walking quickly to shower, I lock the door behind me before removing my checkered pyjama pants and The Clash graphic tee.

The warm water runs down my body, as I stand under the shower head. After fifteen minutes, I twist the shower knob, turning off the water, before wrapping a towel around my waist.

When I return to my room, I slide on a pair of black jeans, a grey t-shirt, and a letterman jacket. I then begin combing my hair as walking back to the bathroom. I place my comb down on the sink before putting on some deodorant.

Gotta be presentable, right?

When I climb down the staircase, aunt Laura is dressed in a black button-up shirt and black pants.

"So what did Angel want?" I ask as picking up my backpack from the kitchen floor.

"Just to check in" Aunt Laura reveals, "she and Sam are really glad to be back in New York...after all, they were away all summer"

I'll never understand why. After all, we fought so hard to leave New York. I guess her history doesn't at all resemble mine. 

Angel and Sam got married straight out of high school but decided to go on their honeymoon this year due to financial reasons.

"Right, I'm going to school" I announce, "have a good day at work"

"Thanks, you're too sweetheart," she says as I slowly leave the house.

I pull out my keys from the back pocket of my jeans before opening the door, on the driver's side. I take a deep breath as slowly reversing from the driveway. 

The drive to school is usually under ten minutes. I get to drive by Riverside high — my school's rivals. Angel and Sam used to go there, along with all their friends.

When I arrive at Lockwood high, I park my car in the parking lot.

Thank God my windows are tinted as I already see eyes staring at me. They always are. Almost like they expect something from me. I hate that.

I guess the situation with Duncan is another reason why people would be looking at my friends and me today. Hopefully, that will all blow over soon.

Senior year better go quickly cause I don't know how much more of this I can take.

I open my car door ready to step out. Let's go

I walk quickly through the parking lot, trying my best to ignore the eyes that are following me. When I walk through the double doors, I arrive at the hallway where I decide to pick up my speed.

It's mentally draining walking down these halls. Everyone's eyes are always one me, I'll never get used to it — Hell, I shouldn't have to.

I grip my books, letting them swing beside my legs, along with my arm. My eyes search the crowd for the target at hand; locker number 1427. All I had to do was make it from point A to point B; simple right?

18 42 65; opened on my first ago like always. I take my laptop bag and books, for homeroom and first period.

I turn around to see a fair-skinned blond guy with bright blue eyes, standing a few feet in front of me. He too is wearing a letterman jacket.

"Oi Thompson" Jackson's annoying voice greets, "I heard you messed Duncan up pretty bad"

I clench my jaw, attempting to not lose my temper. Instead of exchanging any words with my fellow teammate, I continue walking down the hallway.

The principal told me that if I get one more suspension, I don't graduate. Which would mean that I'm stuck here for another year.

Jackson is not worth it, Jason. Not worth it.

Sam taught me to fight for years back in New York and even when I first moved here. It was a survival tool for us back then.

Who would have thought that his instincts would become my disease?

"Hey, he's talking to you!" Another voice cries.

The voice most likely belonged to Mason, Jackson's sidekick.

Suddenly I feel someone push me from behind. I stumbled forward a few steps but manage to catch myself before I fell. My face heats up in anger. I turn around without thinking twice before slamming my fist against his face.

Before I know it, Mason is laying on the floor with blood running down his nose. Dozens of people begin crowding around us.

I turn around to see Mr Jacobs in the distance with folded arms, looking unamused as always.

"My office now" he orders.

------------------------------------

A/N

So it looks like Jason and Evangeline have their violent streak in common.

What do y'all think of this book so far? Please let me know :)

Also, please VOTE if you're enjoying this.

Thank you

Happy reading!